Agawa Canyon

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Agawa Canyon

Unread post by Guest »

How long will it take to scrap her? I know in Alang the boats are gone pretty quickly while IMS in port colbrune can take 6mos to a year.
oldseadog

Unread post by oldseadog »

Tug Sirocco has departed Aliaga after delivering her tow, her next destination is Piraeus Greece.
oldseadog

Agawa Canyon reached Aliaga today she arrived there around 0400 our time 1300 Aliaga time or thereabouts, there should be photos from Aliaga Wedneday.

Unread post by Guest »

The tug and tow appeared to be killing time earlier today. Just checked, and they appear to be about 25 miles west of Aliaga, speed 4.3 knots. My bet is they are waiting for daylight to beach the Canyon. It's about 6:30 AM there right now.
oldseadog

Tug Sirocco towing the Agawa Canyon is 27.1 naut. miles from Aliaga, speed is 3.9 nkots another 7 hours to go befor she reaches her final destination.
kent malo

Unread post by kent malo »

There will be photos of all three vessels a contact there travels to Aliaga every Wed. he told me he would take photos, maybe not the tugs as they may be gone befor he arrives. for reason unknown, the tow has now stopped some 41.0 n miles West of Aliaga, speed 0.4 knots.
Jon363

Unread post by Jon363 »

Is There Any chance that there would alos be some pictures of the Prospector and or the Isle. They all went to the same scrapyard correct?
oldseadog

Tug Sirocco is 43.5 N Miles East of Athens 118 N Miles west of Aliaga, should arrive Oct 16, 1400 hrs.
oldseadog

I will be recieving photos from Aliaga Oct 20th of the Agawa Canyon will post them as soon as I recieve them.
oldseadog

The Tug Sirocco is between Crete and Greece 270.3 N Miles away from Aliaga, she should reach there Oct 16th, she was doing 8.5 knots. Oct 14, 2010 UTC 1952hrs, DST 1552hrs
oldseadog

Tug Sirocco and the Agawa Canyon estimated about 80 N Miles South East of Portopaio, Italy. 2300hrs Oct 12,2010
oldseadog

Thw tug Sirocco towing the Agawa Canyon is presently in the Mediterannean Sea 65.9 e E N E n miles ene of Algiers,1039.0 n miles from Aliaga, Turkey, estimated arrive 14 Oct, 2010.
Mac Mackay

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

Scap metal goes to feed steel mills. With the state of North America's steel business, there is not much demand for scrap metal at this point. In fact the US governement is paying companies to scrap its surplus ships.
IMS would be hard pressed to make any money scrapping a ship in this economic climate unless they are paid to do so.
Turkey, Pakistan, Bangladesh and other ship scrapping countries are in a very different economic and regulatory climate, and can still make money.
oldseadog

Tug Sirocco and the Agawa Canyon has entered the Meditterannean Sea the position is 38.6 n miles south of Malaga Spain, and 68.1 n miles East of Tarifa, distanmce to go is 1486.8 n miles to Aliaga doing 10 knots presently should take 7 days to reach Aliaga.
Jon363

Unread post by Jon363 »

So how does IMS scrap other vessels or is it just with specific boats?
oldseadog

Jon363 wrote:Why wasn't she sold to IMS? Wouldn't the tow be cheaper?
I would think that IMS would not pay that much for the vessel, and environment issues are also cited, Asbestos, contaminants, which have to be disposed of and at a cost, therefor the breakers in countries where there is less stingent laws, get the scrappers.
Jon363

Unread post by Jon363 »

Why wasn't she sold to IMS? Wouldn't the tow be cheaper?
oldseadog

CosmicBlue wrote:How much would the AC have sold for?

Why is she being scrapped are her holds in bad shape thanks?
I was told that she went or I should say went to 500.00 a light ton, light if are not aware what it is, its just the steel in the vessel, some are 6,000 mt other a little more maybe up to 8,900. The buyer was there at the departure of the A C but I did not ask how much he paid for them. I will find out as there someone I know quite well and he is friends with the buyer. Now to bring them to Aliaga Turkey, is another matter, its at least 32 days at 7.5 knots to Aliaga, depending what the tow company charges per day, say 30,000. per day is 960,000. times that by 3 trips.2.880,000. This is just guestament, but not far off.
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

Hull must be in worse condition than the other two. Decades of carrying salt does a real number on cargo hold steel and the self-unloading system.
Jon363

Unread post by Jon363 »

Also what was so bad about the Canyon and not the Way or Rail? Was the hull in worse condition?