Oberstar

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Oberstar

Unread post by Denny »

They can also go up the Saginaw River and unload as well. Yes I know the Kaye E. Barker can as well but, with its 767 foot length it is not that easy for them to go up there and make the turns in the river whereas the Jackson at 690 feet in length is a little bit easier for them to turn.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

The Jackson also can be used on the Cleveland ore shuttles up the Cuyahoga if needed.
A J

Unread post by A J »

garbear wrote: Plus, the LAT and Oberstar also are diesel powered.
The Kaye Barker and Jackson are powered by diesel too.

Unread post by Guest »

Bookworm wrote:I understand the concepts of efficiency and flexibility in running a successful shipping business, but Interlake invested a substantial amount of money in fitting both Lee A and Oberstar with scrubber systems -- which neither KEB nor HCJ have. What have I failed to understand about the relationship between these systems and efficiency?
I believe those scrubber systems you are inquiring about are more related to environmental factors and not necessarily to increase the efficiency of those vessels. I'm not sure what is involved in making the scrubbers work but it is likely that it has some type of impact upon a vessel's daily operating expense. If true, that may be part of the reason why both ships are idle at this time. It is interesting that some scrubber systems have come under scrutiny for releasing treated, but acidic, water back into the environment basically trading one form of pollution for another. I'm not sure if this applies to those used on the lakes.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Bookworm wrote:I understand the concepts of efficiency and flexibility in running a successful shipping business, but Interlake invested a substantial amount of money in fitting both Lee A and Oberstar with scrubber systems -- which neither KEB nor HCJ have. What have I failed to understand about the relationship between these systems and efficiency?
Plus, the LAT and Oberstar also are diesel powered.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

I understand the concepts of efficiency and flexibility in running a successful shipping business, but Interlake invested a substantial amount of money in fitting both Lee A and Oberstar with scrubber systems -- which neither KEB nor HCJ have. What have I failed to understand about the relationship between these systems and efficiency?

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Whats the reason for Interlake running the Jackson and Kaye E rather than Lee A and Oberstar is there smaller ports they can fit in?
Decisions upon which what ships to keep operating and which to idle would include factors such as operating costs, crew size, fuel burn, tonnage commitments, customer mix, just to name a few. This is better defined by the other poster that noted flexibility and efficiency.
Guest146

Unread post by Guest146 »

Guest wrote:Whats the reason for Interlake running the Jackson and Kaye E rather than Lee A and Oberstar is there smaller ports they can fit in?
Efficiency and flexibility.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Jackson is loading for Toledo and the Torco Dock.

Unread post by Guest »

Whats the reason for Interlake running the Jackson and Kaye E rather than Lee A and Oberstar is there smaller ports they can fit in?
Orangeshirt

Unread post by Orangeshirt »

HCJ is on the schedule for TORCO, Saturday, I believe.

Unread post by Guest »

The Herbert C Jackson and Kaye E Barker are both loading this morning at Marquette Presque Isle which is the normal loading port for pellets shipped to AK Rouge Steel in Dearborn. It was announced recently that the furnace at the Rouge would come back online in early July, a few weeks earlier than first planned. I assume one or both of these loads are heading that way. With both of these vessels also busy in the stone trade, perhaps the ex Beeghly or Lee A will come out to join them soon on the Rouge run.

Unread post by Guest »

Last week's raw steel production for the Great Lakes area was 406,000 tons. Two weeks before the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown, it was 691,000 net tons.
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

Not happening anytime soon.....
Bookworm

I know this is going to sound like a little kid impatiently waiting for a big event (which it will be for me) but... "Is it time yet" for either Lee A or Oberstar to come out of indefinite lay-up?
Jon Paul

Bookworm wrote:
Jon Paul wrote:My guess is that with the Cliffs announcement that AK Steel will be resuming production in Dearborn and Middletown that the Oberstar and Lee A Tregurtha will be out sooner than later.
When that happens, you'll be able to see the glow of my smile from here to Duluth/Superior!
I agree, I've always liked the Oberstar and fondly remember as a kid seeing it when it was the Shenago II and sporting that distinctive green hull.
Luckily it runs to Indiana Harbor enough during a regular season that I get to see it come through the Straits now and again.
Bookworm

Jon Paul wrote:My guess is that with the Cliffs announcement that AK Steel will be resuming production in Dearborn and Middletown that the Oberstar and Lee A Tregurtha will be out sooner than later.
When that happens, you'll be able to see the glow of my smile from here to Duluth/Superior!
Jon Paul

My guess is that with the Cliffs announcement that AK Steel will be resuming production in Dearborn and Middletown that the Oberstar and Lee A Tregurtha will be out sooner than later.
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

When demand improves enough to justify bring her out

Oberstar

Unread post by Guest »

Any word on when the Oberstar will be back out? TIA