STCW Certification Changes

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
DavidFrank

Re: STCW Certification Changes

Unread post by DavidFrank »

>>I am presently beginning to recruit a crew to take a research ship to the South Pacific<<

All licensed crew along with unlicensed AB's and oilers would need STCW certification. Great Lakes engineers should be able to sail salt water on their licenses. Captain and mates would need ocean licenses. This would be difficult for Great Lakes mates as they would need sea time on salt water. Licenses vary by size of vessel. Most research boats require a 500-gross ton mate license. The research vessel I worked on required a 1600-gross ton license but that was a 231-foot vessel.

Don't forget to contact me to fill a spot as mate or AB - Great Lakes and salt water experience and I work cheap :)

[email protected]
Timerover51

Unread post by Timerover51 »

Gman wrote:how can I apply for a job on a research vessel, I am a ships cook at present
Gman, to start with, you can contact me at daledrr at earthlink.net. I assume that you are presently on a ship, if so, which one?
Gman

Unread post by Gman »

how can I apply for a job on a research vessel, I am a ships cook at present
Timerover51

Unread post by Timerover51 »

I am presently beginning to recruit a crew to take a research ship to the South Pacific next year. What are the existing requirements for a Lakes sailor to ship as crew on a saltwater vessel?
DavidFrank

STCW Certification Changes

Unread post by DavidFrank »

New STCW (standards of training, certification, and Watchkeeping) certification requirements will be implemented on Jan 1, 2012. Great Lakes sailors are not required to have STCW certification. However, if they ever want to sail on salt water they need this certificate. Currently, the cost is around $900 to take a week-long course and then apply for the certificate from the Coast Guard. I combined work and vacation by taking the course in Ft. Lauderdale from Marine Professional Training (www.mptusa.com). There is a good chance that the 2012 changes will lock out Great Lake sailors from just taking the course and getting the certificate. This winter would be a good time for Great Lakes sailors, especially AB's and Oilers, to pick up the STCW.