Are all ships named?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
shiphotos

Re: Are all ships named?

Unread post by shiphotos »

No, at least not in Canada. Back a few decades ago Irving Tankers named two new-builds H-1060 and H-1070. These were the hull numbers from the shipyard. They were originally registered in Bermuda but were reflagged Canadian not long before scrapping, and they kept the same 'names'.

Paul
oldseadog

Re: Are all ships named?

Unread post by oldseadog »

Not nesscessarily named, I know of 2 ships owned by Irving Oil both were Ore/Oil carriers. My late aunt's stepfather John Harding, was captain on the H 1069 H for hull the other vessel was the H 1070, I don't know how true this explanation is, it seems Irving was going to name one ship after the then Premier of New Brunswick Louis Robichaud, and the other after Louis Robichaud daughter, someone told me they had a falling out, and the names were never applied to the two 690 foot 31,000 ton Ore/Oil vessels they used the hull numbers assigned by Irving Shipbuilding for their entire career.
Aarcr

Are all ships named?

Unread post by Aarcr »

Is it a requirement that they be named? Do any just go by a serial number or something similar?