VanEnkevort Tug and Barge

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
GuestfromEU

Re: VanEnkevort Tug and Barge

Unread post by GuestfromEU »

RogerKYS wrote:Thanks. We will fix for 2021.
You can note the engine as MaK 6M32C. Same engine manufacturer as other vessels with MaK engines (John G. Munson, Saginaw, et al).

MaK is now wholly owned by Caterpillar, but the MaK name is used for engine designs originating from MaK.

Only mention this to you, Roger, in case you would like to keep consistency in the book.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Thanks. We will fix for 2021.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

hausen wrote:
Jon Paul wrote:Did they repower the Dirk? KYS '20 has it listed as 3000bhp and that's not gonna handle a barge the size of Michigan Trader
The tug Joseph H. Thompson Jr. (now Dirk S. VanEnkevort was repowered in 2006. According to https://greatlakesships.wordpress.com/joseph-h-thompson-jr/, details are as follows:

Repower – 2006

Engine Type: Diesel Engine, Engine Manufacturer: Caterpillar
Engine Model: 6M32C
Number of Engines: 2
Rated HP: 7500 BHP
Thank you. Apparently Know Your Ships 2020 had incorrect info.
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

Jon Paul wrote:Did they repower the Dirk? KYS '20 has it listed as 3000bhp and that's not gonna handle a barge the size of Michigan Trader
The tug Joseph H. Thompson Jr. (now Dirk S. VanEnkevort was repowered in 2006. According to https://greatlakesships.wordpress.com/joseph-h-thompson-jr/, details are as follows:

Repower – 2006

Engine Type: Diesel Engine, Engine Manufacturer: Caterpillar
Engine Model: 6M32C
Number of Engines: 2
Rated HP: 7500 BHP
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Did they repower the Dirk? KYS '20 has it listed as 3000bhp and that's not gonna handle a barge the size of Michigan Trader

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:The tug ex-Joseph H. Thompson now known as the Dirk S. Vanenkevort will be used for the Michigan Trader. The tug is still in Toledo.
Correction* Erie, PA
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

garbear wrote:
Denny wrote:So now that the Michigan Trader is ready supposedly, when then will the Dirk depart from Erie to Sturgeon Bay and to connect with the new built barge? I would assume it will be anytime now as I think both are done and ready to go at any given notice! Since we are about half way into October now, I would think that VanEnkevort would want to have this new duo out and operating very soon before the Fall weather really starts to turn soon. I’m sure there is a few bugs if you will to be worked out and I’d think VanEnkevort would want to get them worked out and on ASAP before any Fall weather issues in November and also December. Just my two cents and thoughts only. Any info is appreciated and Yes I know about the Press Release but haven’t had the time to read it yet.
Thought I'd read several months ago the Dirk was supposed to be paired with the Joe Thompson and Thompson Jr. was to go to the Michigan Trader.
As I understand it, the Dirk S. VanEnkevort is the former Joseph H. Thompson, Jr.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Chris M wrote:The Dirk is the Thompson Jr., it was renamed during its rebuild

Thanks, Chris.
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

The Dirk is the Thompson Jr., it was renamed during its rebuild
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:So now that the Michigan Trader is ready supposedly, when then will the Dirk depart from Erie to Sturgeon Bay and to connect with the new built barge? I would assume it will be anytime now as I think both are done and ready to go at any given notice! Since we are about half way into October now, I would think that VanEnkevort would want to have this new duo out and operating very soon before the Fall weather really starts to turn soon. I’m sure there is a few bugs if you will to be worked out and I’d think VanEnkevort would want to get them worked out and on ASAP before any Fall weather issues in November and also December. Just my two cents and thoughts only. Any info is appreciated and Yes I know about the Press Release but haven’t had the time to read it yet.
Thought I'd read several months ago the Dirk was supposed to be paired with the Joe Thompson and Thompson Jr. was to go to the Michigan Trader.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

So now that the Michigan Trader is ready supposedly, when then will the Dirk depart from Erie to Sturgeon Bay and to connect with the new built barge? I would assume it will be anytime now as I think both are done and ready to go at any given notice! Since we are about half way into October now, I would think that VanEnkevort would want to have this new duo out and operating very soon before the Fall weather really starts to turn soon. I’m sure there is a few bugs if you will to be worked out and I’d think VanEnkevort would want to get them worked out and on ASAP before any Fall weather issues in November and also December. Just my two cents and thoughts only. Any info is appreciated and Yes I know about the Press Release but haven’t had the time to read it yet.

Unread post by Guest »

The tug ex-Joseph H. Thompson now known as the Dirk S. Vanenkevort will be used for the Michigan Trader. The tug is still in Toledo.
BeeZee

Unread post by BeeZee »

Found some information on the Michigan Trader at this website . https://freighterfreak.wordpress.com/20 ... her-barge/

Unread post by Guest »

BeeZee wrote:Is the Michigan Trader still at the shipyard? I look on Marine Traffic AIS but couldn't find it.

Take care, Bernie.
It is. Barges don't have AIS.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

BeeZee wrote:Is the Michigan Trader still at the shipyard? I look on Marine Traffic AIS but couldn't find it.

Take care, Bernie.
Check the Sturgeon Bay post below.
BeeZee

Unread post by BeeZee »

Is the Michigan Trader still at the shipyard? I look on Marine Traffic AIS but couldn't find it.

Take care, Bernie.
GuestfromEU

Unread post by GuestfromEU »

The molten sulphur barge Bahia de Tampa has been tied up in Port Redwing, Florida (near Tampa) for some time now.
Mr Link

VanEnkevort Tug and Barge

Unread post by Mr Link »

Fincantieri Bay Shipbuilding issued a press release today announcing that the new barge Michigan Trader has been delivered to VanEnkevort Tug and Barge.

First of all, congratulations to VanEnkevort for expanding their Great Lakes fleet. Second, the press release mentioned that VanEnkevort operates barges in the Gulf of Mexico. I was unaware of this, but a quick review of VanEnkevort's website mentions that they operate 4 phosphoric acid barges and one molten sulfur carrying ATB on the Gulf.

Does anyone know how long VanEnkevort has been operating vessel in the Gulf?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Press release on Michigan Trader delivery: https://fincantierimarinegroup.com/10-9 ... pcwa-vNSFo

VanEnkevort "fleet" page: https://www.vtbarge.com/vtbourfleet