Good Bye, Matt Stafford

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
ed

Re: Good Bye, Matt Stafford

Unread post by ed »

Jim Harbauge is such a Great coach he even signed a contract to work for 1/2 his 9 million dollar contract. He is worth about three fiddy ! Watch out for the M S U basketball team. I heard they are Hot.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well since you put it that way Ohio Bob, agreed. However, at least the Michigan Basketball Men’s Team is ranked #3 in the country and who did they beat last weekend? Thank Goodness at least the Basketball team is doing well as at least that will give Michigan Sports fans something to cheer about. Could make the NCAA March Madness Tournament real fun and interesting then to watch. Go Michigan and Go Blue!
Ohio Bob

Unread post by Ohio Bob »

"I don't even watch U. Michigan football anymore."

Denny, I always say Jim Harbaugh is the best UM coach Ohio State ever had.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well in the past 3 to 4 seasons you could say and my brother firmly believes that most of the Lions troubles faultly lie on the regime if you will of Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia as they pretty much ruined and also destroyed the Lions into a laughing stock of Pro Sports Not that they weren’t before they arrived here but, they took a mediocre team and then just destroyed it IMO period! How can you justify taking a coach like Jim Caldwell who led them to the Playoffs and had above 500 years with them and then you bring in Matt Patricia an assistant with the Patriots who never was a head coach before? But, compare that hire with what the Tigers did years ago by bringing in Brad Ausmus another one that had no major league experience. Yeah, so Ausmus took the Tigers to the playoffs his first year and they got swept out. Point here is, all Ausmus did was inherit Leyland’s team. Ausmus never could put his own team together and then they dealt out what talent they had and then later brought in Al Avila as GM and Ron Gardenhire and need I say anything else? So, you got the Lions, Tigers and Red Wings all in a big huge mess right now and management for all three don’t give a hoot and crap about winning. All they care about is their wallets that’s it! Goes to show and us fans some of us are stupid jerkheads for going and paying to watch them play. I don’t even watch any of them anymore and Oh BTW, I don’t even watch Michigan football either anymore as well!

Unread post by Guest »

Brian Ferguson wrote:Sadly that team won't be a contender until management/ownership changes. No one is serious about winning and when we do get a once in a generation player- Barry, Calvin, we just let them waste away. Barry is one of the greatest RB's in the history of the game and what is his legacy? It's truly sad he has no ring. When was the last year we were a REAL contender? 1991? Yeah I was 12 :)
I can attest to the Lions never being a real contender back into the late 1970s while growing up. Every year I heard complaints about the ownership of the team not being serious about winning and yet it goes on year after year. I have never been a big fan of spectator sports but about the only way I can see this situation ever-changing is to have the team come under different ownership or move out of Michigan. I know I have ruffled a few feathers with coworkers that do nothing but gripe about the team each week during the season but will always make sure to watch or attend each game. To them I try to point out that as long as people continue to buy tickets and the games get enough viewership this pattern will continue. In that sense, the only way change will come about is a serious drop in revenue coming in and the only way to do that is to quit buying tickets and merchandise.
Brian Ferguson

Unread post by Brian Ferguson »

Sadly that team won't be a contender until management/ownership changes. No one is serious about winning and when we do get a once in a generation player- Barry, Calvin, we just let them waste away. Barry is one of the greatest RB's in the history of the game and what is his legacy? It's truly sad he has no ring. When was the last year we were a REAL contender? 1991? Yeah I was 12 :)
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Gone, But not forgotten. I was a Stafford fan, but a good move for the Lions. 2-1s, a 3, and Goff. I think they'll try to package picks to move up to draft a QB. Maybe Trey Lance a MN guy.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lion ... ared-goff/
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well everyone it's now official as Matthew Stafford has been traded from the Detroit Lions however, the team that he is going to is by far one that nobody saw coming! Believe it or not, Stafford is headed West out to the Los Angeles Rams believe it or not. In return, the Lions will be trading for Rams Quarterback Jared Goff in exchange. So, in the end the Lions will get a 3rd Round Draft Pick in this year's draft along with two first round draft picks both in 2022 and in 2023. The Rams will then get to inherit Stafford's two year $43 million contract, while the Lions will then carry a $17.8 million dead cap hit in 2021. The Lions also inherit Jared Goff's four year contract of $106.6 million contract. The Rams then will carry a $22.2 million dead cap hit in 2021. The trade though is not official until the start of the league year on March 17. With the Lions now getting Goff at QB, he is reunited with new Lions GM Brad Holmes who was once with the Rams. So, it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds and works out in the coming years ahead. Remember also that Goff once played in a Super Bowl a few years ago for the Rams when they got beat by the Pats and Tom Brady as well.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Ok garbear and others that read this post as I got another one to add to this and a juicy one at that! Who do you think is the better conference in the NFL as far as the AFC or the NFC? Before you make your choice and decision on that, here’s a food for thought. Look at the AFC vs NFC as far as the Quarterbacks. Notice something? If you don’t, maybe this will work. You got a lot of young stars in the AFC like Patrick Mahomes along with Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Desean Watson and Tua down in Miami along with Joe Burrow of Cincinnati and Baker Mayfield of the Browns. All young stars or rising stars and QBs in the AFC that will be around for many years to come! Now, take a look at the NFC. No really young stars and Quarterbacks there as it’s all old veteran QBs. The real only young one I’d say is Kyler Murray of Arizona and I suppose you could add in Dak Prescott of Dallas. But the point is, it seems the AFC has all young QBs where the NFC don’t. Maybe the NFC Teams need to start planning for their futures and look at the AFC and get some young Quarterbacks to compete! Just my two cents. Anyone care to add or comment here?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well, now that just about official as far as Stafford and the Lions parting ways from one another the big question is “Where will he go and play at next?” A few NFL teams would be interested in getting him but just what would they be willing to give up in return? So after talking about it with my brother over the weekend, here’s a few teams that he thought about that would be interested in Stafford. A few things to keep in mind first is that Stafford wants to go and play for a team that’s ready for playoffs and a Super Bowl run. Second, Stafford definitely won’t be satisfied as just being a backup QB for anybody as he wants to start and play ball. He probably has maybe 5-6 more years left in him from the way that my brother describes it. So, what teams might be right for him? These are a few that we talked about. Indianapolis, Dallas or San Francisco. I had Indy picked but I never had Dallas or the 49ers. With Rivers retiring in Indy, that would make sense there. In Dallas, if Prescott isn’t healthy enough from his injury or he doesn’t want to play there maybe and of course there’s Jerry Jones. In SF, you got sort of a mess with their QB right now. Stafford is from Texas so Dallas or Houston could be spots or else Carolina since he played college close in Georgia. Comments?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The other thing that is interesting is that Matt Patricia I just heard here recently, believe it or not is headed back to the New England Patriots to be an assistant again under coach Bill Belichick. I guess they are right about the saying "What goes around comes around!" Also, one of their assistant coaches Josh McDaniels is being talked about and discussed as a possible head coach somewhere although most teams right now have got their coach in place other than Houston. You would think that NFL teams would get and learn the message that no assistant coach from the Patriot organization has had any luck or success with anyone other than the Patriots of course. So, my point is can't NFL teams see that you just don't go out and bring in anyone from the Patriots because if you do then you are just asking for your own trouble period! Tell me any coach that's been with the Patriots other than Belichick of course that has had any luck or success with another team Pro or College? Not too many of them that's for sure and certain. And I also see that Rob Ryan is headed to Baltimore Ravens as an assistant coach. So, the Ryan boys are back yet again. Go Figure!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:Certainly does Garbear. Even my brother can't figure them out as he kind of figured at some point maybe the Lions would end up by getting rid of Stafford. Just can't figure out how you take a coach like they once had in Jim Caldwell who took them to the playoffs and had a decent winning record and one or two 9-7 seasons and then you hire a new GM in Bob Quinn and he doesn't like the coach and his record thus you get rid of him? To make matters worse, then you bring in Matt Patricia from New England to try and fix this mess and both Quinn and Patricia made things worse here for the Lions instead of better IMO anyway. What is mind boggling is then they both bring in players from New England and then in turn end up being a waste and a bust! The Lions are in such a mess now and they need so much help on both sides of the ball that I really don't know where you start to try and rebuild? If they get rid of the QB in Stafford which it looks like they will, then will probably draft a QB in the draft I'm sure unless they look into free agency or else a trade maybe? What Quinn and Patricia did to the Lions is almost as bad maybe worse then when they brought in Matt Millen years ago to try and turn things around and fix them. And to think Michigan extended coach Jim Harbaugh's contract as well for yet another 4-5 more years at Ann Arbor. Go figure on that one! I no longer watch the Wolverines on TV and won't watch them or the Lions anymore period. Why waste my time watching those two?
I agree with you Denny.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Certainly does Garbear. Even my brother can't figure them out as he kind of figured at some point maybe the Lions would end up by getting rid of Stafford. Just can't figure out how you take a coach like they once had in Jim Caldwell who took them to the playoffs and had a decent winning record and one or two 9-7 seasons and then you hire a new GM in Bob Quinn and he doesn't like the coach and his record thus you get rid of him? To make matters worse, then you bring in Matt Patricia from New England to try and fix this mess and both Quinn and Patricia made things worse here for the Lions instead of better IMO anyway. What is mind boggling is then they both bring in players from New England and then in turn end up being a waste and a bust! The Lions are in such a mess now and they need so much help on both sides of the ball that I really don't know where you start to try and rebuild? If they get rid of the QB in Stafford which it looks like they will, then will probably draft a QB in the draft I'm sure unless they look into free agency or else a trade maybe? What Quinn and Patricia did to the Lions is almost as bad maybe worse then when they brought in Matt Millen years ago to try and turn things around and fix them. And to think Michigan extended coach Jim Harbaugh's contract as well for yet another 4-5 more years at Ann Arbor. Go figure on that one! I no longer watch the Wolverines on TV and won't watch them or the Lions anymore period. Why waste my time watching those two?
garbear

Good Bye, Matt Stafford

Unread post by garbear »

Sounds as if the Lions are going a different direction.