J. B. Ford Fire

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
garbear

Re: J. B. Ford Fire

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:Garbear, I found an answer to my question in regards to the Azcon/Hyman scrap dock where the J.B. Ford is being dismantled. It was indeed the Nicholson Transit automobile dock. Here's a photo from "Twin Ports Rail History" on Flickr, showing the Joseph H. Frantz delivering automobiles to the dock on September 19, 1957. Photo by Wes Harkins. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff_lemk ... 624467021/
Glad you found it. Was way before my time in Duluth.

Unread post by Guest »

Garbear, I found an answer to my question in regards to the Azcon/Hyman scrap dock where the J.B. Ford is being dismantled. It was indeed the Nicholson Transit automobile dock. Here's a photo from "Twin Ports Rail History" on Flickr, showing the Joseph H. Frantz delivering automobiles to the dock on September 19, 1957. Photo by Wes Harkins. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff_lemk ... 624467021/
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

ed wrote:I seem to recall a few boats being set on fire in Lake St Clair in the late 50's by Frank Becker ( I believe ) to burn off the wooden parts. I believe one was the S S Detroit - can't remember the other boat.
Greater Detroit and Eastern States, burned on Lake St. Clair 12 December 1956.
ed

Unread post by ed »

I seem to recall a few boats being set on fire in Lake St Clair in the late 50's by Frank Becker ( I believe ) to burn off the wooden parts. I believe one was the S S Detroit - can't remember the other boat.

Unread post by Guest »

I seem to recall a few Canadian lakers being scrapped during the 1980s also having fires.
ashland69

Jared wrote:
ashland69 wrote:
Looks like the fire took out what might have been left of the stern cabins. Back in the 60s, I remember on numerous occasions that the cabins were set on fire on purpose to get rid of anything flammable before steel cutting began.

That is an obsolete practice. They set one ablaze near Harsen's Island in the late 1960s during the summer. It backfired as sparks ignited a wildfire that consumed the marshes. I'm sure this fire was not intentional, but it really doesn't matter as the ship is being scrapped anyways. I'm glad to see the old girl giving some sort of act of defiance.
Yes, I know it's no longer practiced. And with that wildfire, I can understand why the practice was stopped. And you're right. Why do such a burn when you're scrapping the ship to begin with.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

The SS Harry L Allen light up the whole town when it burned one slip over in '78. Azcon I think scrapped it where she sat afterwards.

Unread post by Guest »

Didn't the Joshua Hatfield catch fire at Azcon also while being scrapped? I seem ro recall a few of the USS ships scrapped at Duluth having fires such as this.
Ted Knack

Unread post by Ted Knack »

I was wondering If they have what is called Fire Watch on these ships when a welder or torch is being used. The Refinery here any time there is a welder or Cutting torch being used there is a man or woman standing right there with a fire equitment to put out a start of a fire. Its a safety thing. A few years back a stern wheel showboat was in dry dock to be worked on.They were doing welding and torch work and left at end of schift. And a fire started and the boat was totally lost.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

ashland69 wrote:
Looks like the fire took out what might have been left of the stern cabins. Back in the 60s, I remember on numerous occasions that the cabins were set on fire on purpose to get rid of anything flammable before steel cutting began.

That is an obsolete practice. They set one ablaze near Harsen's Island in the late 1960s during the summer. It backfired as sparks ignited a wildfire that consumed the marshes. I'm sure this fire was not intentional, but it really doesn't matter as the ship is being scrapped anyways. I'm glad to see the old girl giving some sort of act of defiance.
ashland69

garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:Garbear, is that the same dock where automobiles were delivered up until the early 60s by lake freighter?
Don't have an answer to that one. Have been in Duluth since the late 70s.

Unread post by Guest »

Garbear, is that the same dock where automobiles were delivered up until the early 60s by lake freighter?