Bridge problem, Duluth

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
doda

Re: Bridge problem, Duluth

Unread post by doda »

The quickest way to slow a ship down, providing there is sea room, is to turn. By turning the Indiana Harbor went from presenting 105 feet, (her beam) to friction, to presenting 1000 feet (her length) to friction.
badger

Unread post by badger »

upper lakes ss montrelais had steam operated generators however if they were going to be at anchor for a long period they turned the steam plant off and had a large diesel generator, probably a cat that they turned on i believe it was on deck near the funnel

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Can an engine (or engines) be completely shut down while a vessel is in operational service? Does the engine just provide propulsion or does it also supply the means of electrical generation, heating or cooling, etc.?
The advantage of a steam plant. On the S/S John G. Munson the turbine was placed on a jacking gear while in port to keep it rolling over and warm. The steam generators had enough power for ship service plus the unloading equipment. The engineer just had to give them more steam.

Unread post by Guest »

BuffaloBobS wrote:A deisel engine can be decoupled and shut down for service while the boat is in operation provided the other engines or engine are operating fine. if the boat only had one engine, you better hope that if the engine had to be shut down, you are someplace you can drop anchor or safely float until repairs are made. When I was on the Roge M. Kyes in 1984 & 85, while unloading, the Port engine operated the generator to power the unloading equipment and had to continuously run while at the dock.The starboard engine would be shut down. Of course both engines would be de-clutched from the reduction gear. That meant many more hours of run time on the port engine and therefore more maintenance to the port engine. If the port engine required maintenance, you would not be able to unload until the repairs were made.
On modern ships you put the generators on propulsion "PTI/PTO in case you loose your main engine.The "take me home system"
BuffaloBobS

Unread post by BuffaloBobS »

A deisel engine can be decoupled and shut down for service while the boat is in operation provided the other engines or engine are operating fine. if the boat only had one engine, you better hope that if the engine had to be shut down, you are someplace you can drop anchor or safely float until repairs are made. When I was on the Roge M. Kyes in 1984 & 85, while unloading, the Port engine operated the generator to power the unloading equipment and had to continuously run while at the dock.The starboard engine would be shut down. Of course both engines would be de-clutched from the reduction gear. That meant many more hours of run time on the port engine and therefore more maintenance to the port engine. If the port engine required maintenance, you would not be able to unload until the repairs were made.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Can an engine (or engines) be completely shut down while a vessel is in operational service? Does the engine just provide propulsion or does it also supply the means of electrical generation, heating or cooling, etc.?
Of course just auxilliary gen sets instead of shaft generator (if fitted)which is driven by main engine.It is a normal occurence.

Unread post by Guest »

Can an engine (or engines) be completely shut down while a vessel is in operational service? Does the engine just provide propulsion or does it also supply the means of electrical generation, heating or cooling, etc.?

Unread post by Guest »

How much more fuel does an empty 1000 footer actually burn at 1-2 knots versus "Stop Engine"? Wouldn't think it's much of a difference.

Unread post by Guest »

I seem to recall this subject being addressed on this page before. As I recall, some ships waiting for dock space will circle slowly around on the lake to avoid going to anchor. Apparently the time and labor necessary to anchor and weighing anchor outweigh the expense of slowly idling out in the lakes. I would assume that this is largely dependent upon the time necessary for the dock to become clear and I'm certain that there is a break-even point after which it would be better to go to anchor than to idle out in the lake. I'm sure someone has a better explanation.

Unread post by Guest »

Andrew wrote:I imagine running at almost idle is cheaper than having to fire the engine back up after 2 hours.
You put the engine to stop...not shut down.
Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I imagine running at almost idle is cheaper than having to fire the engine back up after 2 hours.
RCRVRP

Unread post by RCRVRP »

But why would they burn fuel going in circles instead of just stopping?
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

Indiana Harbor was already slow-belling across Lake Superior, killing time waiting for the Arthur M. Anderson to clear the loading berth at CN 6 in Duluth ahead of her. The loops were likely part of Indiana Harbors strategy, as she was getting close to Duluth and the Anderson wasn't finished loading yet.

May have also had something to do with visibility; it's been foggy in the Twin Ports lately. Perhaps Indiana Harbor was in communication with the Aerial Bridge's tender personnel and waited until visibility conditions were acceptable before making her final approach to Duluth.

Unread post by Guest »

Why would it do loops instead of just stopping?
JohnH

Bridge problem, Duluth

Unread post by JohnH »

Evidently the Aerial Bridge had a problem of some sort this afternoon causing the Indiana Harbor to do a couple of loops before finally entering.
Attachments
IndHbr.jpg