Nukumi - Canada STeamship Lines Newbuild

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Nukumi - Canada STeamship Lines Newbuild

Unread post by Guest »

I have pictures of her at the dock in Halifax but I couldn’t upload them

Unread post by Guest »

Jeff 1 wrote:Arrived today in Halifax. Mac Mackay's excellent blog Shipfax provides coverage. http://shipfax.blogspot.com/2022/03/nuk ... s.html?m=1

Does anyone know what CSL means by her being a "single point loader?"
CSL hasn't elaborated on the the "Single Point Loader" and how it works. But if you look at photos and the drawings at the Nukumi website, it has a large hatch, located mid-ship and what appears to be a conveyor system (trunnions) that runs under the hatches. Will be interesting how well this loading system will work when the Nukumi enters service.

The idea behind the "Single Point Loader" is that the ship won't have to be shifted at a dock when loading.

- Brian
algowest

Unread post by algowest »

I believe Nukumi has stone cargo onboard to provide stability for delivery trip. With her being Nova Scotia class, U don’t believe temporary deck stiffening was not required
Regarding question on single point loading system, Nukumi has a small “shed” at midship that opens to a conveyor just below deck level that runs length of cargo hold to distribute cargo between holds. This is designed to eliminate need to shift the boat for loading separate holds
rh

Unread post by rh »

Nukumi has arrived at Halifax 27 Mar 16:24.
Jeff 1

Unread post by Jeff 1 »

Arrived today in Halifax. Mac Mackay's excellent blog Shipfax provides coverage. http://shipfax.blogspot.com/2022/03/nuk ... s.html?m=1

Does anyone know what CSL means by her being a "single point loader?"
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Latest ETA for them now due at Halifax is on March 27th at 1300 hours or at 1:00 P.M. this from Marine Traffic's website at this time. Also I see that they are flagged Bahamas for the trip from China to Canada! When they arrive in Canada, I am assuming then they will be re-flagged and also registered Canadian with a Canadian crew coming aboard then and the foreign crew disembarking correct? Also, is the Nukumi carrying any type of like say ballast or temporary deck supports that they will have to remove on its deck once they arrive in Canada? Sorry for my questions if too many but just curious is all. Thanks for any information you have!
rh

Unread post by rh »

Nukumi passed through Gatun Locks and clear of the canal this morning.

ETA Halifax updated to 26 Mar 02:00

Present speed 12.1 kn
rh

Unread post by rh »

Nukumi now transiting Panama Canal approaching Gatun.

ETA Halifax 23 Mar 23:00

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Mac Mackay wrote:Covered bow not just for icing, but will allow the ship to go deep sea while protecting equipment and keeping the seas off the hatches nearest the bow. Many bulk carriers have been lost due to crushed hatches on number one hold. I expect this ship will run on the Atlantic coast to Newfoundland, New Brunswick and maybe US ports.
People don't realize the power of a breaking wave coming down on top of a foredeck of a vessel. Case in point, the loss of the Derbyshire in 1980.
Us surfbusting Hobie Cat, and keelboat sailors, sure do appreciate the immense power of waves and wind [won't even mention storms or powerlines which cost the lives of two friends].
I was coming into the SPI jetties fast with a following sea, on the Hobie with the ex. A shrimper was outbound and powered up, his bow wave hit us three feet over the tramp. One time busting the surf off the SPI beach, son #1 wasn't paying enough attention and was washed over the stern [he swam back to the beach and we picked him up on the next wild ride in, LPs mandatory of course].

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Mac Mackay wrote:Covered bow not just for icing, but will allow the ship to go deep sea while protecting equipment and keeping the seas off the hatches nearest the bow. Many bulk carriers have been lost due to crushed hatches on number one hold. I expect this ship will run on the Atlantic coast to Newfoundland, New Brunswick and maybe US ports.
People don't realize the power of a breaking wave coming down on top of a foredeck of a vessel. Case in point, the loss of the Derbyshire in 1980.
Often overlooked also is it is not necessarily just the weight of the wave but the force associated with the sudden impact of this weight. This possible cause leading to ship's loss has often been quickly discounted by those with no familiarity with such situations or self-proclaimed experts.

Unread post by Guest »

rh

Unread post by rh »

NUKUMI arrived at Port PANAMA ANCH PACIFIC
at 2022-03-13 10:15 Local Time (2022-03-13 15:15 UTC)

No ETA for Canada yet.

Unread post by Guest »

According to the Nukumi website, CSL indicates that she's designed for East-coast and Great Lakes service. Interestingly, the one drawing (and it's very difficult to make out due to the overlying graphics) indicates that the covered deck on top of the forecastle is called a "whale deck", a term I've never read or seen before).

- Lakes

Unread post by Guest »

In reference to your comment on the crushed hatches on the number one hold, it is interesting as to how many people won't believe such a thing can happen.
Mac Mackay

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

Covered bow not just for icing, but will allow the ship to go deep sea while protecting equipment and keeping the seas off the hatches nearest the bow. Many bulk carriers have been lost due to crushed hatches on number one hold. I expect this ship will run on the Atlantic coast to Newfoundland, New Brunswick and maybe US ports.
Syd BC

Unread post by Syd BC »

Covered bow is probably just to keep the weather off the bow So the anchor and capstans don’t ice up in winter On the Atlantic Superior the anchor winch was covered We stowed mooring lines in there as well and called it the chicken coop

Unread post by Guest »

This is one of the bulkheads. Notice that large rectangular opening just below the spar deck and the silver-coloured trunions on either side of the opening.

https://mvnukumi.com/wp-content/uploads ... scaled.jpg

- Brian

Unread post by Guest »

DCN wrote:As to how cargo could be distributed through the hold from a single point, perhaps there will be some kind of conveyor tripper system installed just under the spar deck that will allow distribution of the cargo fore and aft from that midship "dog house", assuming that's what that structure is for.

Of course a conveyor belt/support structure in that location would interfere somewhat if cargo loading ever needed to be done through the hatches as per a normal laker, so there would need to be some sort of shielding over conveyor apparatus at the hatch openings.

But as the intended cargo and loading dock seems to be always the same, the efficiency of not shifting may outweigh the added complexity and weight of another conveyor system on the boat, if indeed this is how the system will be set up. Just my guess on the subject.

DCN
If you look at the bow drawing on the left side of the page, you can see a conveyor that starts just below the hatch-crane on the main-deck level.

https://mvnukumi.com/

- Brian
DCN

Unread post by DCN »

As to how cargo could be distributed through the hold from a single point, perhaps there will be some kind of conveyor tripper system installed just under the spar deck that will allow distribution of the cargo fore and aft from that midship "dog house", assuming that's what that structure is for.

Of course a conveyor belt/support structure in that location would interfere somewhat if cargo loading ever needed to be done through the hatches as per a normal laker, so there would need to be some sort of shielding over conveyor apparatus at the hatch openings.

But as the intended cargo and loading dock seems to be always the same, the efficiency of not shifting may outweigh the added complexity and weight of another conveyor system on the boat, if indeed this is how the system will be set up. Just my guess on the subject.

DCN

Unread post by Guest »

It looks like there are at least six large square openings in the forecastle. Would these have anything to do with the vessel's single point loading system? Will some of the necessary gear be installed in the forecastle?