Nukumi - Canada STeamship Lines Newbuild

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Nukumi - Canada STeamship Lines Newbuild

Unread post by Guest »

That stern design reminds me of the Stena V-Max tankers twin-propeller skeg system.

And that raised "box" looks to be the single-loading point for the cargo-hold, though I don't understand how it would distribute cargo throughout the hold. Unless it's for something else, but still, how would the hatch-crane move fore-and-aft with that box on deck? We'll find out next year.

- Brian
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Here is a conceptual drawing of the stern from their website. I'll assume they refined the design a bit since then to avoid having the hatch crane extend through the unloading boom :-) The website mentions a single hold and a single point loading system so the vessel doesn't have to shift while loading. I assume that is what the structure in front of the boom is for.

https://mvnukumi.com/wp-content/uploads ... 24x683.jpg

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Not sure if anyone else noticed, but the forecastle of the Nukumi is higher than the Trillium-class vessels and is totally enclosed with a slope forward of the top of the enclosed a forecastle.

- Brian

I too noticed the slope you mentioned. I wonder what the purpose of that is?

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote:When this vessel enters service in 2022 for CSL, will it ever make any trips into the Seaway and the Great Lakes or will it be mostly confined to Canada’s East Coast and in the salt trade? I recall the Sauniere spent most of its life hauling salt and on Canada’s East Coast mostly but it did make a few visits into the Seaway and the Great Lakes. The Salarium also spent most of its time as well hauling salt on Canada’s East Coast yet it too made an occasional trip into the Seaway and Great Lakes as well. Maybe the new CSL ship could carry some salt loads from Windsor to a few places? Just some ideas maybe. Would love to see this ship maybe someday here on the Upper Great Lakes. Guess we’ll have to wait and see if it ever happens or not. I can’t recall the size of this new ship either? Anyone have more details such as its size and IMO Number as well? Thanks for any information anyone may have and can share.

Although its primary uses will be hauling salt on Canada's East Coast, as long as the vessel's dimensions do not exceed that allowable for Seaway operation (which I doubt from looking at the images of its launch) I would expect to see it make an occasional trip into the lakes. In addition, it could also come in for repairs and surveys at shipyards on the lakes. The Sauniere and Salarium did just that, although the latter vessel spent much of its early career on the lakes as the Nanticoke and went to the salt trade after the Sauniere (which was itself a former ocean carrier) was retired. The Sauniere came into the lakes to operate in the salt trade in 1989 during a labor strike at the Magdalen Island mine. It also spent a winter laid up at Point Edward, Ontario back during the 1990s. So long story short, I would not be surprised to see an occasional trip on the lakes by this vessel if the conditions warrant it.

Unread post by Guest »

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but the forecastle of the Nukumi is higher than the Trillium-class vessels and is totally enclosed with a slope forward of the top of the enclosed a forecastle.

- Brian
New Guy Rick

Unread post by New Guy Rick »

The vessel CHENGXI CX9203 (IMO: 9914711 ) is a Self Discharging Bulk Carrier built in 2021 and currently sailing under the flag of Unknown.

Unread post by Guest »

I wonder what her dimensions will be.

- Robby
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

When this vessel enters service in 2022 for CSL, will it ever make any trips into the Seaway and the Great Lakes or will it be mostly confined to Canada’s East Coast and in the salt trade? I recall the Sauniere spent most of its life hauling salt and on Canada’s East Coast mostly but it did make a few visits into the Seaway and the Great Lakes. The Salarium also spent most of its time as well hauling salt on Canada’s East Coast yet it too made an occasional trip into the Seaway and Great Lakes as well. Maybe the new CSL ship could carry some salt loads from Windsor to a few places? Just some ideas maybe. Would love to see this ship maybe someday here on the Upper Great Lakes. Guess we’ll have to wait and see if it ever happens or not. I can’t recall the size of this new ship either? Anyone have more details such as its size and IMO Number as well? Thanks for any information anyone may have and can share.

Nukumi - Canada STeamship Lines Newbuild

Unread post by Guest »

A webpage for the Nukumi: https://mvnukumi.com/

- Brian