Duluth Lift Bridge Ride-along?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Duluth Lift Bridge Ride-along?

Unread post by Guest »

That was an interesting article. I knew there were several incidents but this is a great chronological record. I seem to remember my dad telling me when I was young that police shot an armed suspect trying to flee across the bridge on foot. Didn't have anything to do with the bridge operation itself, but apparently took place on the bridge deck. I have no idea if that actually happened, if I'm remembering incorrectly or if he had his wires crossed--but I do remember him telling me the story. Not sure if anyone could verify?

Unread post by Guest »

Some incidents involving the Aerial Lift Bridge, not sure if any of them are related to why ride-alongs were discontinued although the 1990 incident would just about coincide with the sudden stop in pictures from the raised span of the bridge.

http://zenithcity.com/archive/legendary ... al-bridge/
ML

Unread post by ML »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:I believe that at one time it was possible to ride the bridge when it raised and there are quite a few pictures of ships passing under the bridge taken from the raised deck up through the mid to late 1980s. If I recall correctly this came to an end after a woman was killed after falling from the raised deck after suffering some sort of panic attack.
The woman's death occurred in 1990, many years after they stopped giving rides. Her death eventually led to the installation of several cameras on and around the bridge, so the bridge operator can confirm that nobody is left on the bridge before it lifts.

Rides were provided in the 1950s and 1960s (not sure of the exact years when the practice started and stopped) in a caged-off area, so nobody was in danger of falling. The rides were 25 cents.

Some of the more gruesome history of the bridge is detailed here:
Yes indeed, there were rides on the bridge in the 50's-60's. I lived on Park Point then as a kid and rode it quite a bit. My dad was a Captain with USS/GLF and I rode up while his boat went under a few times.... pretty cool!

Unread post by Guest »

Maintenance personnel will ride to the top sometimes to do repairs on the towers, etc, but they typically will ride to the 1/2 way point before stepping onto the counterweight.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I believe that at one time it was possible to ride the bridge when it raised and there are quite a few pictures of ships passing under the bridge taken from the raised deck up through the mid to late 1980s. If I recall correctly this came to an end after a woman was killed after falling from the raised deck after suffering some sort of panic attack.
The woman's death occurred in 1990, many years after they stopped giving rides. Her death eventually led to the installation of several cameras on and around the bridge, so the bridge operator can confirm that nobody is left on the bridge before it lifts.

Rides were provided in the 1950s and 1960s (not sure of the exact years when the practice started and stopped) in a caged-off area, so nobody was in danger of falling. The rides were 25 cents.

Some of the more gruesome history of the bridge is detailed here:

Unread post by Guest »

I believe that at one time it was possible to ride the bridge when it raised and there are quite a few pictures of ships passing under the bridge taken from the raised deck up through the mid to late 1980s. If I recall correctly this came to an end after a woman was killed after falling from the raised deck after suffering some sort of panic attack. While at one time it was possible to get photos from vantage points such as the Ambassador Bridge, and Blue Water Bridge from walkways those are pretty much a thing of the past. Although not quite the same experience, aerial shots such as those captured from bridges are more easily obtained today with drones.

Unread post by Guest »

Interesting. There may have been some media purpose or special circumstance as I'm pretty sure they did not exit before the lift. They seemed pretty "chummy" but it's not like I could hear the conversation.
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

Guest wrote:My question is, can the public pay to do this? (I think the answer is no, although I heard maybe they used to) or was it some type of VIP thing? Can the operator bring personal guests from time-to-time?
There was a brief time in the 1970s when the public could pay a fare to ride the bridge for a lift, but that is not something that the city does at this time. Bridge operators are allowed to have visitors while the bridge is in the down position, but are not allowed to have visitors stay for a lift. If people are observed on the control house's outer deck it could be city officials or members of the media. Journalists do stories on the lift bridge's operations on a regular basis, or use that vantage point to document ship passages under the bridge as a part of stories on Duluth and the port in general.

Duluth Lift Bridge Ride-along?

Unread post by Guest »

When my wife and I were in Duluth last month, we picked a spot along the concrete wall, just to the harbor-side of the bridge to watch the American Integrity depart. About 10 minutes before the operator started the lift, I noticed a small group of people were allowed up to the operator house and they were hanging out on the walkway outside the entrance, laughing and seemed to be having a good time. As the lift procedures started they went inside the operator house and got to ride the bridge to the top and I imagine got an AWESOME view of the departing ship. My question is, can the public pay to do this? (I think the answer is no, although I heard maybe they used to) or was it some type of VIP thing? Can the operator bring personal guests from time-to-time?