New PRT Permanent Captain,?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: New PRT Permanent Captain,?

Unread post by Guest »

I believe that Alan Bell, the 1st mate will be the new Captain
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I thought I saw and read somewhere on a Facebook Page that for now anyway, the Captain on the PRT is a Captain Johnson? I’m thinking that he’s been captain before on the PRT and I think he’s what I would say and call a relief and fill-in captain whenever the regular skippers are off the ship for whatever their reasons?

Unread post by Guest »

I don’t blame anyone one bit for remaining anonymous....in this day in age with social media and doxxing and a camera/video on every phone I’d be very leery to have my id known. Especially when uninformed public and media types can write anything about anything and blast it out as fact. I work in an industry where this can and does happen if people put themselves out there....no thanks
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Guest wrote: I'm sure the reference is to a social media presence, not personality. For the most part the identity of the majority of laker captains remains anonymous.
Times have changed. Less than 20 years ago, companies submitted a list of captains and chief engineers of each vessel for publication. Wound up in annual publications like Greenwood's and Dills, Lakeboats, Redbook, etc.

Unread post by Guest »

hugh3 wrote:Bashful Captain? Ain't never met one!

I'm sure the reference is to a social media presence, not personality. For the most part the identity of the majority of laker captains remains anonymous.
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

I wouldn't say bashful but I knew a few captains, not only on the lakes that have left social media due to people constantly bothering them. Same with some crew members
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Bashful Captain? Ain't never met one!
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

Maybe the new captain wants to keep a lower profile
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Anyone hear or know yet who the new Captain is? It’s been a whole week now since Captain Bob retired. Surely the new Captain has to be on her by now! Just curious to know who the new skipper is on her?
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Seniority...........
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

Denny wrote:Hi Dawn as you’re reading my mind too! I as well is anxiously awaiting word of who the next and new Captain will be on her? You may wanna check out the Fans or Friends of Interlake S.S. Company Facebook page as I do that to try to find out. I’m sure they’ll be pictures along with an announcement soon of who it is? Just hoping that the new Captain is nice and friendly especially when it comes to giving out salutes to us! The new Captain may be chosen on most seniority as Capt. Bob had 42 years in with Interlake. Remember too, Capt. Ray Sheldon of the Block also retired with 44 years in the Inland fleet as well back this Spring!
Definitely doing that and the Interlake website as well. Oh the suspense!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Dawn as you’re reading my mind too! I as well is anxiously awaiting word of who the next and new Captain will be on her? You may wanna check out the Fans or Friends of Interlake S.S. Company Facebook page as I do that to try to find out. I’m sure they’ll be pictures along with an announcement soon of who it is? Just hoping that the new Captain is nice and friendly especially when it comes to giving out salutes to us! The new Captain may be chosen on most seniority as Capt. Bob had 42 years in with Interlake. Remember too, Capt. Ray Sheldon of the Block also retired with 44 years in the Inland fleet as well back this Spring!
Dawn

New PRT Permanent Captain,?

Unread post by Dawn »

How is a new Permanent Captain chosen when the former one retires? Has a new one been named for PRT?