Brevort Limestone Shipments

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Diver Dan

Re: Brevort Limestone Shipments

Unread post by Diver Dan »

Unfortunately we can't tell whether they are loading sand or limestone remotely, we have to guess by the destination port listed on their AIS. It seems they never keep too large a pile of stone around, though.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

tugboathunter wrote:To my knowledge most, if not all, of the vessels loading at Brevort have been loading sand at the Sand Products facility. You can tell these are sand loads because they typically go to the same docks in Hamilton (Algoma) and Buffalo (Grand River). I assume then that Graymont and Sand Products are using the same loading facility?
Thanks for the destinations of the sand. I never really paid attention to where it was going. From the aerial photo I assume the stone is using the same loading system as the sand. I don't see any other vessel loading conveyors, portable or permanent.
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

To my knowledge most, if not all, of the vessels loading at Brevort have been loading sand at the Sand Products facility. You can tell these are sand loads because they typically go to the same docks in Hamilton (Algoma) and Buffalo (Grand River). I assume then that Graymont and Sand Products are using the same loading facility?

Unread post by Guest »

I don't know about the current season but last season (2020) the Defiance/Ashtabula and Algoma Innovator were common callers at Brevort to load sand. The Algoma Intrepid, Calumet, Arthur M. Anderson, and Herbert C. Jackson also loaded there last season and I'm sure there are others.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Mr Link wrote:Does anyone have any information about how much limestone is being shipped out of Brevort and what vessels are involved? A few years ago Graymont built a limestone loader there. This March 2021 aerial photo shows the new loader. Trucks unload at the top of the hill on a loop just off US-2. From there a conveyor takes the stone to a stockpile near the dock.

I haven't heard heard of any vessel loads of stone out of Brevort, so I'm curious what fleet or vessels might be hauling it. Thanks!

Bpatnerd Port Report lists Northern Lk. MI and I know they list Brevort when they get traffic.
Mr Link

Brevort Limestone Shipments

Unread post by Mr Link »

Does anyone have any information about how much limestone is being shipped out of Brevort and what vessels are involved? A few years ago Graymont built a limestone loader there. This March 2021 aerial photo shows the new loader. Trucks unload at the top of the hill on a loop just off US-2. From there a conveyor takes the stone to a stockpile near the dock.

I haven't heard heard of any vessel loads of stone out of Brevort, so I'm curious what fleet or vessels might be hauling it. Thanks!
Attachments
Brevort.jpg