Hollyhock ice ops

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
hugh3

Re: Hollyhock ice ops

Unread post by hugh3 »

Algoma Intrepid and Niagra with the Hollyhock leading made it under the bridge @5:00 EST.

Unread post by Guest »

I am making some assumptions that the Katmai Bay is also broke down. The Biscayne Bay left those three Algoma boats in the Straits and headed to the Soo. It made many passes below Mission Point, so I am also assuming the Sugar Island Ferry is possibly having ice issues.
Maineboatnerd

Unread post by Maineboatnerd »

?Hollyhock to the rescue -- looks like heading to west of Straights to help out Algoma Intrepid and Niagra while Mackinaw remains disabled in Cheboygan. See no other Canadian or US coast guard assets nearby.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Every ice breaker is unique and ice conditions constantly change, so its hard to compare one icebreaker to another. But here are capacities I have seen in various publications over the years. Many were taken from brochures that the ships handed out for public tours.

Minimum depth of solid plate ice that can be broken:

Pierre Radisson: 36" continuous @ 3 knots
"old" Mackinaw: 36" continuous, 60" backing and ramming
Samuel Risley: 33" continuous
"new" Mackinaw: 32" continuous @ 3 kts
Griffon: between 24" and 36" continuous, probably around 30"
140' tugs: 20" continuous, 36" backing and ramming
Juniper Class: 14" continuous @ 3 knots, 36" back and ram
Keeper Class: 9" continuous @ 3 knots
Larry64

Unread post by Larry64 »

She’s out in the river with the Biscayne Bay today. I thought the Hollyhock and her sisters were buoy tender/ ice breakers.
Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

That's true. Most of them are stationed in fairly temperate areas, and even the Alaska based ones are usually only active in the nicer months. I've seen pictures of 225s pulled out of the water for winter up there, maybe for maintenance, but either way, icebreaking is not their specialty. Theres a video of Alder in Thunder Bay and its having a tough time with 2-3 foot stuff.
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

If recall serves, Juniper-class / 225's are primarily designed as buoy tenders, and only have light ice-breaking capabilities. If the ice on the St. Clair River is brash/jammed ice, it's possible such conditions are beyond Hollyhock's specifications.
Larry64

Hollyhock ice ops

Unread post by Larry64 »

So we are having ice issues in the St. Clair River. The Canadian cutters and two of the 140’s are out breaking ice and getting shipping traffic through. Another two or the 140’s are out in Lake Erie, but the Hollyhock is docked. Any idea why? Is it part of her move off the lakes?