Viking I Ferry

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Shipwatcher1

Re: Viking I Ferry

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

guest wrote:My first thought when Interlake purchased that former Army tug is that they will probably cut down the Spartan to make a near twin to the PM41. But the next thought was why bother? Just purchase the Viking, which is already cut down. But so far, neither appears to be in the cards.
I believe the Spartan is bigger, so if Interlake does go that route, she would have a greater capacity.

Unread post by Guest »

badger wrote:ok, so the vking is cut down. where is she at today? i doubt if the spartan or viking would make a very good barge. the city of midland 41 was cut down to a barge shortly after her days as a ferry were through, not 40 years latter

Doesn't mean the hulls are bad. They've been on freshwater their entire lives and the car ferries we're built pretty darn sturdy for ice breaking. Spartan's hull condition has been monitored while she has been laid up so her hull may need some work to return to service but it probably wouldn't be as bad as you think.

Unread post by Guest »

badger wrote:ok, so the vking is cut down. where is she at today?
tugboathunter wrote:Still at the K&K dock in Menominee in her deck barge state.
badger

Unread post by badger »

ok, so the vking is cut down. where is she at today? i doubt if the spartan or viking would make a very good barge. the city of midland 41 was cut down to a barge shortly after her days as a ferry were through, not 40 years latter

Unread post by guest »

My first thought when Interlake purchased that former Army tug is that they will probably cut down the Spartan to make a near twin to the PM41. But the next thought was why bother? Just purchase the Viking, which is already cut down. But so far, neither appears to be in the cards.

Unread post by guest »

i saw her in port stanley, 1996 i believe. so to speak the then owners took a lot of local investers for a ride!
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

you may be thinking of the ferry arthur k atkinson which was scrapped at the Soo. The Viking was not scrapped there.

Unread post by guest »

i believe it was scrapped at soo, michigan a while back. perhaps other readers {if there are any?" have more accurate information
guest 520

Unread post by guest 520 »

I seen her last summer she was cut down to the car deck basically a barge still in Menominee
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Still at the K&K dock in Menominee in her deck barge state.
Shipwatcher News

Viking I Ferry

Unread post by Shipwatcher News »

Was the Viking I ferry scrapped or is she still laid up in Menominee or another port? I haven't heard anything a definite disposition for her that I can recall. Thanks in advance