Great Lakes Marine Mobile Net.

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
sgrima

Re: Great Lakes Marine Mobile Net.

Unread post by sgrima »

Hello all you Hams out there,

I am a cadet at GLMA and happy to say last week I passed my FCC exam to get the General Class License! I have tried to listen in to the Great Lakes Maritime Net, without success.

I currently am on active duty in the Coast Guard Reserves and stationed in Charleston, SC. I run a Icom 718 but only on 200W which I don't believe would give me the power to talk to the net and I have a multiband dipole but it has to run East and West so my community association doesn't see it and make me take it down. I would figure it should be oriented more North and South to pick up the Net broadcasts.

Anyone have any suggestions? Otherwise I can't wait to get back to Traverse City and get my rig set up the way I like it and start chattering away.

Steve Grima
KJ4UEV
Hamsailor

Unread post by Hamsailor »

Hi All,

Here is the link to our GLMMNet website.
We run 24/7/365 throughout the winter also.

We would love to talk to you and all the ships/boats.
http://www.glmmnet.org

Unread post by Guest »

Hi, I will try and be on the frequencies as much as possible. I am located in Kingston, Ontario and have 80 metre antennas up. My 40 metre antenna is not working at the high end of the band but will get after it. It is an R-8 vertical and with limited band width is tuned for the lower part of 40 metres.

I am the Marine radio columnist for the magazine Monitoring Times and will mention this net in the January 2011 column which I am writing at this time.

I would appreciate knowing more about the net, who is looking after it, net controls etc.

I would appreciate someone contacting me at ve3go@ sympatico.ca and giving me any information which you wish to see in the column.

I would love to contact some of the freighters if possible . I haev been a great lakes marine enthusiast for many years, have a Minor Waters Masters licence and have worked on local tour boats for over 40 years. I also do some relief work on the Canadian Empress, a 64 passenger cruise ship running from Kingston to Ottawa, Montreal or Quebec City. No possibility of using hf when aboard , unfortunately.

Hope to meet you on the air.

73's Ron Walsh, VE3GO
sgrima

Unread post by sgrima »

Is this a daily net, or weekly net?

I was trying to listen to you guys on 7.263 but kept picking up something else. I was also trying to find you guys on echolink but couldn't find the net.

I only have the Tech. License so I can't chat on HF yet but I can on Echolink. It will be a nice connection to home since I live in south carolina right now.

I can't wait to start hamming it up!

Steve Grima
KJ4UEV
BitterSweet Phil-

Unread post by BitterSweet Phil- »

Sounds great!
You might have a problem using 7.263 at night. The foreign commercial broadcasters still use frequencies above 7.200.
Look forward to 'checking in'.

Good luck,
BitterSweet Phil
KI8JN
Hamsailor

Great Lakes Marine Mobile Net.

Unread post by Hamsailor »

Hi All,
Please join us by HF SSB.
Great Lakes Marine Mobile Net/Great Lakes MM Net.
Great Lakes Marine Mobile Net. HF SSB amateur radio net for mariners on the Great Lakes. Frequencies: 08:00 EST and 21:00 EST (12:00 UTC and 01:00 UTC) 3.927 Mhz LSB first, and then 7.263 Mhz LSB 15 minutes past the hour.

We also have Skype for worldwide HF phone patches and Echolink (KC9SGV, node# 516288) for full coverage 2M communication. In addition we are fully conversant and proficient with WINMOR HF email, and can enter position reports into the Winlink 2000 system.