image of a vessel

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: image of a vessel

Unread post by Denny »

The Algoma Innovator could surely use some paint! Amazing that it was built in either 2017 or 2018 yet when you see it and pictures, it looks like it’s been sailing forever! I suppose this has to do too with all the salt loads they’ve carried in the past few seasons.

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote:The moral to this discusion is "you never get a 2nd chance to make a good 1st impression !

Perhaps from a boatnerd's perspective in regards to appearance but likely not from a business perspective. For example, I worked in the manufacturing sector for over 25 years and I never once saw an instance in which the appearance of any company's tractor-trailers we used to ship products ever factored into the decision of awarding hauling contracts.
Old Sailor

Unread post by Old Sailor »

Sitting in north slip in Sarnia last week was the Robert S Pearson of Lower Lakes and which belongs to Rand Corp. It looks like it should be heading for scrap as its is a sorry looking rust bucket.Lakes

Unread post by guest »

The moral to this discusion is "you never get a 2nd chance to make a good 1st impression !
Guest 999

Unread post by Guest 999 »

Guest wrote:I don’t even think you will see any substantial work done on the new builds what I’ve heard is once there worn out they’ll be replaced, they were planned with a short lifespan 30yrs maybe,
Agreed, a chief engineer stated to me that the philosophy with one of the Canadian fleets was lifespan expectancies were going to be in the 25 year range with the new foreign built hulls.

Unread post by Guest »

Old Sailor wrote:There is one company on the great lake that appears to take great pride of ownership in there vessels and that is the inter lake company. Two of there ships are Mv Lee A Tegurtha 1942 MV Kay E Barker 1952 look like the day they where launched.
The big difference is Interlake is privately held compared to publicly traded.
Old Sailor

Unread post by Old Sailor »

There is one company on the great lake that appears to take great pride of ownership in there vessels and that is the inter lake company. Two of there ships are Mv Lee A Tegurtha 1942 MV Kay E Barker 1952 look like the day they where launched.

Unread post by Guest »

I don’t even think you will see any substantial work done on the new builds what I’ve heard is once there worn out they’ll be replaced, they were planned with a short lifespan 30yrs maybe,

Unread post by Guest »

Freighters are working ships that normally serve a customer base that is rightfully more concerned about transportation costs rather than the appearance of ships arriving at their facilities. About the only exception to this that I can think of is the cruise industry which is aimed at that general public rather than agricultural, aggregate, and industrial customers. That being said, painting and general upkeep of a vessel will have an impact on the bottom line in the sense that an improperly maintained asset will sooner or later require some significant investment. While it is generally true that fleets seemed to maintain their fleets to a higher standard in the past than is commonplace today all one has to do is to view some historical pictures on this site to realize that this was not necessarily a universal practice. The reduction of crew size and new environmental regulations during the recent decades has also made an impact on how paint jobs are maintained. I would imagine that each fleet has a maintenance plan for their ships, but I believe that hull painting is now done only during a drydocking survey. As such ships would go at least 5-6 years between paint jobs and will sustain quite a bit of wear over that period. The poster "Guest" pretty much summed up the power of individual stockholders in large corporations.
Guest_SB

Unread post by Guest_SB »

Guest-II wrote:What is a rondell?
I am used to the spelling as roundel...but the terminology I'm familiar with doesn't necessarily match everyone else!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundel

Unread post by Guest »

You should try that strategy at Tim Hortons. “I happen to own 1 share of your stock, and this restroom is appalling.”

On a more serious note, if you owned 100% of Algoma shares circulating among the general public, you’d still only have a 28% stake in the company and no authority over operations. In general the only shareholders who matter are institutional investors and fund companies.
Guest-II

Unread post by Guest-II »

What is a rondell?
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

Send Algoma an email, let us know what happens.
CSLFAN

Unread post by CSLFAN »

Do you not remember the Algorail and Algoway ???

Unread post by Guest »

badger wrote:yesterday in the PM i saw the algoma harvester exiting lock 8 upbound. the condition of the "rondell" on the bow was discusting. as an algoma central shareholder either keep it painted up or not have it at all. does ACC not have any pride at all?
Painting boats does not make money. They only paint the boats in drydock.
badger

image of a vessel

Unread post by badger »

yesterday in the PM i saw the algoma harvester exiting lock 8 upbound. the condition of the "rondell" on the bow was discusting. as an algoma central shareholder either keep it painted up or not have it at all. does ACC not have any pride at all?