Mark Barker unloading system.

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mr Link

Re: Mark Barker unloading system.

Unread post by Mr Link »

I believe McKeil's barge Huron Spirit has a similar, if less robust system that dates back to its days hauling salt from Mexico to San Diego. One trip it might be carrying a bulk commodity to be unloaded via the boom, the next steel coils stored on the flat deck. https://youtu.be/SWquX8kCzS8?t=130

Unread post by Guest »

The system that the Mark W. Barker has works very well for Algoma and previously Upper Lakes Shipping. The Algoma Navigator, John D. Leitch and CSL Assiniboine use this self-unloading system and the limitations are known. Using a hopper system with a single centre-line belt means much cubic capacity is lost.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but the self-unloading system the Mark W. Barker has is far superior to what the Canadian Century had in terms of maintenance.

Unread post by Guest »

geysir wrote:I am surprised that Interlake would put a flat bottom cargo hold in the new Mark Barker. This makes unloads longer and much more difficult to clean the holds before loading a different type of cargo. I believe Pathfinder had this configuration in 1997 before being reconfigured to sloping sides. In 1997 I heard the Pathfinder on the radio stating they were going to anchor so the crew could sleep.
I believe that the holds are configured in such a way to greatly diversify the types of cargoes that can be carried including commodities outside of bulk raw materials such as ore, coal, stone, and salt. I am also inclined to believe that it would greatly increase the cubic capacity of the cargo hold as it does not have sloped sides. Didn't the CSL Assiniboine also receive a similar configuration when it was rebuilt? I have often wondered if such a system could be used to offset the restricted cubic capacity of the Edward L. Ryerson's cargo holds that complicates a conversion to a self-unloader.
Under_Pressure

Unread post by Under_Pressure »

Undoubtedly, if you know 100% that a vessel is going to be dedicated to bulk cargo that is reasonably flowable for its entire career, then a hopper type cargo hold is going to be more efficient, and probably worth whatever additional costs are involved. The only reasons to use a system requiring front end loaders or a reclaimer on a dedicated bulk carrier are to maximize cubic capacity or reduce cost in building/converting the vessel. However, it is clear that with the Barker, Interlake's vision is flexibility beyond the traditional great lakes bulk cargo. They want to be able to carry anything they can fit through the hatches, and thus need the versatility of a flat bottomed hold. To achieve that flexibility, a price has to be paid when it comes to efficiency in handling bulk cargo vs. a vessel that is designed for that and only that.
geysir

Unread post by geysir »

I am surprised that Interlake would put a flat bottom cargo hold in the new Mark Barker. This makes unloads longer and much more difficult to clean the holds before loading a different type of cargo. I believe Pathfinder had this configuration in 1997 before being reconfigured to sloping sides. In 1997 I heard the Pathfinder on the radio stating they were going to anchor so the crew could sleep.

Unread post by Guest »

The system is very similar to what's installed in the John D. Leitch. This video will show how it all works. The front-end loaders are stored in a garage at the forward end of the ship. It was originally designed by Upper Lakes Shipping in the mid-1990s and evolved from a system that was built for the Canadian Century in 1967 that uses a "rake" system.

When the Canadian Century was rebuilt in the mid-1990s, she received the new unloading system that dispensed with the "rake" system as it was maintenance intensive and difficult to find parts for. Front-end loaders are much easier to maintain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuyXKZO ... 0&index=11

- Brian
RCRVRP

Mark Barker unloading system.

Unread post by RCRVRP »

The new Mark Barker has flat bottom holds and will have 2 front end loaders on board to assist in moving material to the belt. Does anyone here have details or pictures of exactly how the system works?
Also would like to know the make and model of these front end loaders. Thanks,