Ships handling

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Ohio Bob

Re: Ships handling

Unread post by Ohio Bob »

Interesting question. I cannot speak to freighters or larger vessels. I do notice on my cruiser a much larger buildup of bottom algae and zebra mussels on one side of my boat from sitting with one side facing the sun at the dock. Of course I can just jump in the water with a brush a few times a year to take care of that. I don't think any AB's will be doing that. ;-)
Guest Boathandler

Re: Ships handling

Unread post by Guest Boathandler »

Cleaning and painting the bottom is good maintenance. Depending on the amount of buildup (Zebra Mussels) it could help increase speed and fuel savings, but as for in close handling at docks, there would be very little or no difference there. Hope that helps!!
Guest-793

Ships handling

Unread post by Guest-793 »

In today’s Boatnerd news (04-04-22) there is an article, along with a video, about the car ferry Badger having her sides and bottom cleaned and painted while in dry dock last fall. Question: Will there be a noticeable difference in the ships handling after the work is complete? Thanks…