ship recycling in Port Colborne

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: ship recycling in Port Colborne

Unread post by Guest »

I just can't understand how those bags can hold the enormous weight of these massive ships can someone explain further thanks in advance?
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

The tug was Jane Ann IV, which pushed the barge Sarah Spencer.

Unread post by guest »

you are correct about the front end loaders at rogers city but....the tug wasnt called sarah spencer!
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Of course I can't seem to find any photos right now, but in the past have seen photos of several large winches at the yard. Probably salvaged towing winches from tugs. The lines are often run through multiple blocks to increase their pulling power, and they are tied to ground anchors behind the winches, and via anchor chain to the vessel being pulled.

Currently, I think they may be using huge hydraulic chain pullers, meant to engage anchor chain. They pull the distance of a link or two and then take a new bite on the chain.

Moran Iron Works surprisingly was able to pull the tug Sarah Spencer up on shore (on rollers) using only end loaders and no mechanical advantage (blocks, etc.) But the had access to some of the largest end loaders made, being they did the work near the quarry at Rogers City.

ship recycling in Port Colborne

Unread post by Guest »

I've seen photos of vessels including the St. Clair being pulled ashore on roller bags at Marine Recycling Corporation in Port Colborne. What heavy equipment or machinery does the pulling on the shore end of the anchor chain?