Mark w barker

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
GuestfromEU

Re: Mark w barker

Unread post by GuestfromEU »

The CSL Atlas and I believe a few other ocean-trading self-unloaders had articulated booms. There are several disadvantages that outweigh the benefits. The weight of an articulated boom is very high, with far more machinery to engage the pivot point, plus a second boom belt drive (motor, gearbox, pullies, take-up unit, belt, etc. all which add up to more weight and maintenance). More self-unloaders with shuttle booms were built, like the CSL Spirit, Sheila Ann, and Sophie Oldendorff. Those faced the same weight and equipment problems, but without the articulation issues. As can be seen from self-unloaders ordered after this time (c.2000) the idea proved less popular than a straight, fixed boom. Articulated booms have an advantage if discharging onto a pier which has a shore hopper placed in a less than convenient position, though these are few and far between. For open pile discharging, slewing the boom and shifting the vessel is less work overall with less ongoing repair and maintenance expenses. It is like the Kamengo feeder-style gates compared to traditional side-opening gates - the former promised many benefits but in the end they were replaced with the traditional design due to incompatibility with some cargos and high maintenance costs. The Mark Barker received the old boom from the American Victory (Middletown) as the condition was good and it will suit the unloading requirements for the trade of the vessel. I cannot say for sure what the maximum slewing angle is, but 100 degrees to port or starboard is a safe assumption.

Unread post by Guest »

hugh3 wrote: August 11, 2022, 12:11 pm Would like to see photo with boom over bow! The whole square structure must turn.
Even if it turns, the forecastle would be in the way.

https://www.marinelog.com/wp-content/up ... 2-0763.jpg

No way is there 360 degree coverage.
Guest_SB

Unread post by Guest_SB »

As far as I know, the boom is designed to go +/- 90°. 180° total.

Unread post by Guest »

I believe the closest you could get 360-degree coverage is with a double articulated boom but I don't even know if that would be possible even then. Is there any reason that we have never seen a double articulated boom on a lake freighter? Is there no advantage of such an arrangement in the lake trade?
CSLFAN

Unread post by CSLFAN »

No way that boom can swing 360 degrees....that's a full circle and there is the self unloading gear in the way forward...how do you get around that ?? Maybe 90 degrees p/s at best.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Would like to see photo with boom over bow! The whole square structure must turn.

Unread post by Guest »

Bob wrote: August 10, 2022, 8:47 pm The boom can swing 360 degrees, they can service any port needed. Another great innovation.
I find it hard to believe that they could unload directly over the bow and through the conveyor trunk! Looks to be more like 270-300 degrees.
Bob

Unread post by Bob »

The boom can swing 360 degrees, they can service any port needed. Another great innovation.
Guest 999

Unread post by Guest 999 »

What's the boom swing in degrees? Can the Barker discharge to a point forward of the bow?

I have asked the same question of Interlake on their LinkedIn postings regarding the boat's entry into service. Nary a reply.

Unread post by Guest »

I noticed in the port report that Mark W. Barker is expected to be unloading stone in Muskegon for multiple days. Is this because of expected bugs the first time she unloads? Or is the unloading process expected to be slower with this vessel?
Bob

Unread post by Bob »

They do not fold. They are rolling covers.
Guest_SB

There are some excellent photos in the Ports Report for today showing the stacked, not folded, covers.
badger

Unread post by badger »

your correct, but no need for a hatch crane, their folding hatch covers. similar to the stewart j. cort. so the unloading boom wouldnt be in the way. perhaps a thing of the future?

Unread post by Guest »

If the hatches are folding the boom would have to be up and or swung outboard if the forward hatches were open Hard for hosing when under way

Unread post by guest »

MacGregor folding hatch covers were made in Scotland, but now adays ;ike most everything else probably China

Unread post by Guest »

It has MacGregor hydraulic folding hatch covers.
Bob

Unread post by Bob »

One hatch lifts up flat enough for the other one to roll underneath.
Guest_SB

It looked like the hatch covers lift, stack on top of each other and roll fore/aft.

Not sure exactly the method. One lifts, the pair rolls under and picks up the first...sounds like that would be the way. Then the pair can roll forward or aft over the hold opening.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

I read somewhere the hatch covers were stackable but see no hatch crane...
Syd BC

Unread post by Syd BC »

How do the hatcher on the Barker open Do they slide on top of each other or fold upwards Looks tight for the aft hatches if the boom isn’t swung outboard