Asc footers

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Asc footers

Unread post by Guest »

They are only expensive to replace if you plan/need to replace them. ASC might realize the tonnage for the footers is drying up so why put any unnecessary money into them if you have plans to scrap them in the short to medium term future anyways. It won’t matter how pretty they are when they hit the beach in Port Colborne.
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

I know paint doesn’t haul cargo but paint extends the life of the ship, which is extremely expensive to replace.
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

I believe that there was a phrase out there...paint doesn't haul cargo
CSLFAN

Unread post by CSLFAN »

You might want to ask LLT / Rand about this as ASC is out of the repair deal....and there is another black footer out there as bad as the McCarthy..
Mn bob

Asc footers

Unread post by Mn bob »

Why doesn’t asc take better care of their ships? I know it’s expensive but it’s like taking care of your vehicle you have the normal wear and tear and replacement parts and keep the paint up and the rust away so it lasts longer. I would think that when the 5 year inspections are done they would paint the ship to make it last longer. The Walter j McCarthy is in dire need of a paint job. You never see interlakes ships or Great Lakes fleet ships look like that.