Lookout

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Lookout

Unread post by Guest »

I always wondered if there was a lookout posted on the bow of the Montrealais when it collided with the Algobay in the St. Clair River in 1980 and what would have gone through that person's head when the bow of the Algobay emerged from the fog.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Reason I asked Is that watching the boats entering Duluth and, on the cameras, showing different seines on the rivers there doesn't seem to be anyone on the bow.

Unread post by Guest »

Coast Guard still requires it last I knew
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

I've read on this site that Interlake had a video camera on the bow. I don't know if that's in place of a watchman or in addition. It's been a half a dozen years but back then CML had an AB on the bow, as did ILM on the Alpena and the same for the PI. It is hard to imagine with crews reduced now to 17, 18, 19 crew that they haven't continued to cut corners. I wonder now if on some fleets the wheelsman has been replaced by the mate.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

I was a watchman on the Enders M. Voorhees in 1964. Saw the whole seaway from the bow during the ten trips. Last trip as Wheelsman and Wheelsman on different boats till I left the Lakes.in 1970. Looks like things have changed since then...
hugh3

Lookout

Unread post by hugh3 »

Is a "lookout" still required in the rivers, close quarters and reduced visibility? Stationed low down and forward in the vessel with no other duties?