Presque isle

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
ExSailor99

Re: Presque isle

Unread post by ExSailor99 »

I was on the PI all through the 80s. We had to tie up three times for reduction gear replacement. Everyone who worked on the deck dep't. just went home. We were a seperate group from USS personnel then and nobody could connect with their seniority list. It lasted from a month to six weeks.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

In the 1980s when imported steel took over a sizeable amount of the country's steel market, Great Lakes fleets were reduced by half and even more in some instances. I knew of a number of instances where licensed crew worked as OS's.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

I remember reading about boats in the great depression that had 5 Captains in various mate and watchman, mates as wheelsman and deckhands, and chief engineers as stokers. I don't think many masters or chiefs would settle for that today.

Unread post by guest »

There's a good chance with an extended out of service period that the company would allow the PI crew to "bump" others in the fleet. For example, the captain with the least seniority becomes a first mate, the bottom two first mates become second mates ~ the one off the PI & the lowest seniority first mate. Something that is seen in slowdowns also.

Unread post by guest »

just like any industry the crew would be laid off, with the exception of perhaps some or all of the engine room crew and one person {cook} frpm the galley
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

So when the ship is in for this extended repairs do they send the crew home? If they do get sent home do they still get paid? The shipyard crew must do the repairs then right?

Unread post by Guest »

The Presque Isle has issues with her reduction gears.
Chris

Unread post by Chris »

They're waiting on a new reduction gear. Could be awhile before she's back in service
Mn bob

Presque isle

Unread post by Mn bob »

Does anybody know what mechanical issues the presque isle is having? They have been in for repairs for at least a month if not longer. Must be some sort of serious problem for as long as the ship has been in port.