Algoma Transport

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Habes

Re: Algoma Transport

Unread post by Habes »

Hi all, this is Joshua Hebeisen from Port Reports. As other commenters have pointed out, the caption in the July 8 post stating that the Algoma Transport loaded coal at Sandusky is incorrect. That was my mistake; she indeed loaded in Thunder Bay. As for other recent reports of vessels loading coal in Sandusky, these are correct to my knowledge. Thanks for pointing out the error and sorry for the confusion. I’m still getting used to these Detroit trade routes, so the information in this thread will be very helpful for future reports. Happy boatnerding, and thanks for checking out Port Reports!

Unread post by Guest »

Plenty of action lately at Sandusky, twice last week, 1 under the loader and two waiting. Remember, it's the only coal dock on the Great lakes that loads metalurgical coal. They ship to US and Canadian steel companies.
JeffT

Unread post by JeffT »

NS dismantled their dock at Ashtabula. Sandusky is still an active coal loading port.

Unread post by Guest »

I believe it was Conneaut

Unread post by Guest »

Plenty of recent port reports of vessels loading coal at Sandusky. Are these incorrect?

Unread post by guest »

i dont think it was sandusky but another lake erie port. coal is being a dieing cargo so norfolk southern only needs 1 dock these days

Unread post by Guest »

Wasn't the Norfolk and Southern coal loading equipment in Sandusky dismantled and taken by barge to another harbour? I thought I had seen some photos of this occurring over the past year or so.

Unread post by Guest »

Kaye E Barker delivered coal there from Sandusky on the 5th.
badger

Unread post by badger »

i beliee rhis coal is loaded at the canadian lakehead {thunder bay} and oringinates in western canada, so it therefore is not subject to jones act regulations.

Unread post by Guest »

Algoma Transport loaded coal in Thunder Bay. Sandusky has to be an error.

Unread post by Guest »

That's a good question Jon Paul! Are there any facilities on the Canadian side of the lakes that even load coal any longer? If not, the only real way I can imagine coal being delivered to US port by a Canadian ship would be moved up the Seaway or from either the Dofasco or Algoma Steel mills. Wasn't there an announcement a short time ago that Dofasco was changing its steel-making process to be no longer reliant upon coal for its production needs?
Jon Paul

Algoma Transport

Unread post by Jon Paul »

The Port Report today July 8th has a photo of the Albums Transport unloading coal at Zug Island reportedly loaded at Sandusky. Under the Jones Act how is this possible?