new container service from halifax

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
CAB

Re: new container service from halifax

Unread post by CAB »

They are up to 3 container ships now, no word on when one will actually stop in Picton. A big part of it was that they had already bought the first ship and the container rates sky rocketed, so just charting out their ships made more sense.
Mr Link

Re: new container service from halifax

Unread post by Mr Link »

According to this article, it sounds like an opportunity came up which changed Doornekamp Lines plans a bit. They had purchased the small containership Peyton Lynn C. for their proposed Halifax to Picton service. But shortly after the vessel's purchase, Spliethoff offered to charter the vessel long term for its Europe (mostly Antwerp) to Cleveland service. Adding another ship provided three trips per month for Spliethoff's Cleveland Europe Express. Spliethoff offered to stop at Picton en route to Cleveland, but I'm not sure that has happened yet. I think so far they have been going directly to Cleveland.

It sounds like Doornekamp has another vessel, the Vivienne Sheri D. What little information I can find about it makes it appear that it is mostly working on the Atlantic, with recent stops in Halifax and Argentia, Canada, Portland, Maine and Reykjavik, Iceland.

In the meantime, it sounds like Picton is getting some non-containerized traffic. Steel and sugar, plus they just loaded a Metalcraft Marine fireboat for export. And the two new electric ferries for the province of Ontario are currently there, I assume for fitout.

https://www.marinedelivers.com/2022/04/ ... nys-blood/
badger

new container service from halifax

Unread post by badger »

its been 2 years since the announcement of a new container service from halifax, n.s. to picton, ont. boatnerd gave it some publicity but havent heard any thing since. a "flash in the pan?"