Presque isle

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
GuestfromEU

Re: Presque isle

Unread post by GuestfromEU »

I do not know which repairs are required, but I will add a new reduction gear can be months to deliver in a perfect world. With global supply chain issues, I would expect 6 months minimum basis rush order priority. Individual components to repair also can take just as long. If a reduction gear is being replaced completely, this requires Class approval and a basic engineering study, for which at least one month is needed as a general guideline. No firm order can be awarded until the engineering study and Class approval is complete.

It is not as simple as making a direct replacement for the reduction gear now installed as that company likely is out of business. Makers of reduction gears do not keep them in stock on a shelf as the gear ratio, gear profile, and many other factors are considered from input speed and output speed, pitch of propeller, hull form, etc. Since it would likely be fabricated in Europe or Asia, add another 2 months for sea freight. A dedicated heavy lift cargo aircraft would be required for air freight, with transport costs so astronomical it may not be worth it. Yes it is an expense to take a ship out of service, but perhaps they are sufficient with the existing fleet. Economics are not as favourable since the Presque Isle has greater capacity, though.
Mn bob

Presque isle

Unread post by Mn bob »

What’s the holdup with getting the presque isle fixed? It’s been down for like 2 months shouldn’t take that long to get a reduction gear manufactured and replaced!