Indiana Harbor’s cargo records

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Indiana Harbor’s cargo records

Unread post by Denny »

While it’s been mentioned and said a few times of the Indiana Harbor breaking the record for the largest iron ore pellet cargo carried through the Soo Locks in 2019 at over 77,000 or so tons give or take, she also set another record load that season as well only not for iron ore pellets but also for coal! In October, it was said and mentioned right here on this Discussion Board that she broke the coal record set in 1997 in July by the Columbia Star now American Century. The Indy’s coal record load in 2019 was at more than 70,900 tons! Sorry as I don’t recall the exact tonnage figure but it was definitely over 70,900 tons which broke the Columbia Star’s coal record then in 1997. The Indy’s coal record load wasn’t said in too many Maritime Publications in 2019 when we were having record high water levels then. I was fortunate enough to have seen her on the St. Clair River with that record load of coal also. So besides the Indy having records for the largest loads of ore pellets through the Soo and from Duluth itself, don’t forget too that she also owns records for coal too! They also still own a coal record from the early 1990s when they took coal from Superior up to Silver Bay. Wasn’t that load I think over 71,000 tons or so maybe higher then that?