Port Gypsum / VHF 69

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Port Gypsum / VHF 69

Unread post by guest »

canadian gypsun had a plant in newfoundland with the same set up as port alabaster, that is aerial tram way with buckets, long gone just like port alabaster. canadian gypsun {owned by us gypsun} also had locations at little narrows and neonw mianas, nova scotia but have since be shuttered. national has an open pit mine near halifax and ships to the eastern us seaboard and some to the great lakes
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Denny, National Gypsum owns both the dock at Port Gypsum and the plant in Waukegon.

US Gypsum's dock was called Port Alabaster. Their mine is very much still active but all product goes out by truck now.

A third company, Lime and Gypsum Products is also selling gypsum from the area. They are located at what used to be called Michigan Gypsum north of Turner. I haven't been able to determine if they actually still mine gypsum or if they get it supplied by National or US Gypsum. From recent aerial photos, their operation looks more like a stockpile than an active mine (back in the days of Michigan Gypsum, it was an active mine).

In recent years (at least 2015, 2016 and 2017) small amounts of gypsum were trucked to docks on the Saginaw River and loaded into vessels or barges there. I think that originated with US Gypsum or Lime and Gypsum Products and not National Gypsum
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Two questions one related to Port Gypsum. What Gypsum company owns that loading dock National or U.S. Gypsum? I’ve been wanting to post that question here for a very long time now. Second and lastly, who owns the Gypsum Dock in Waukegan, Illinois where much of the Gypsum from Port Gypsum goes to? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Unread post by Guest »

They will be working VHF channel 69 for internal communications while loading if any other boats need to reach them.

The mate is loading on deck and won't hear the VHF in the pilot house on Channel 16.

Port Gypsum / VHF 69

Unread post by Guest »

On AIS the Sam Laud is in Port Gypsum. The description is Port Gypsum VHF 69. What does that mean ?