Anderson to Nanticoke

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Shipwatcher1

Re: Anderson to Nanticoke

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

guest wrote: September 13, 2022, 2:10 pm too my knowledge the ss ELR never returned up bound with cargo, always in ballast. as for canadian lakers in gary unloading labrador ore in the 70a ive CSLs ss georgian bay and Q&Os ss outarde in gary at the same time
At least one of those return trips she did carry a cargo loaded at a Quebec port. Not sure if it was every seaway trip or not, but at least one.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

I would know nothing about about the Valley Field Dock in 1975. This was 2008. And right, a portable conveyor stoked by front end loaders were used. Also, the loads were unloaded in Indiana Harbor at Dock Two by the Bridge Cranes. It just looked like black dirt, but from what I understood, it's used to make specialty steel.
jim gallant

Unread post by jim gallant »

i was at the port of valleyfield in 1975 of the canada steamship lines sideloading package freigh vessel ss fort york. at that time there was no dock long enough to accomodate a 730 ft laker

Unread post by guest »

i didnt know the port of valleyfield could handle a 730 foot laker. theres no ore dock there so it must of been a slow load via a portable conveyor and unloading in lorain with a portable crane must of been vert tome consuming. no wonder shes been at the wall since 2009
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

The ELR would return from Hamilton after unloading ore via Valley Field with a load of magnesium sometimes.

Unread post by Guest »

After her reactivation in late July 2006, the Ryerson mainly took iron ore to the Jonick Dock in Lorain, as well as to the Mittal steel mill at Indiana Harbor. The Ryerson did make at least one trip down to Quebec City to Sections 52-53 to unload iron ore pellets from BNSF in Superior. The Boatnerd News archive mentions a date of May 25, 2007.

There is a photo on page 60 of the book "Cargo Carriers of the Great Lakes" by Jacques Lesstrang, which shows the Quebecois unloading in Gary, Indiana.

Unread post by guest »

too my knowledge the ss ELR never returned up bound with cargo, always in ballast. as for canadian lakers in gary unloading labrador ore in the 70a ive CSLs ss georgian bay and Q&Os ss outarde in gary at the same time

Unread post by Guest »

I thought that the Ryerson often returned up the Seaway with ore. Due to its limited cubic foot capacity, the Ryerson would be an inefficient grain hauler, although I do seem to recall a mention in a Lake Log Chips or some other maritime journal during the 1990s about the possibility of a Seaway grain run for the Ryerson. However, that was probably just an unsubstantiated rumor as was reports of its sale for scrap that appeared on at least one occasion.

As far as the USS boats, the Seaway runs with grain would have ended during the early 1980s as by that time all of iys vessels in the fleet able to fit through the Seaway locks other than the stone boats were laid up pending sales for scrapping.

One further question on this topic. Did USS ever receive Labrador ore from Canadian lakers as Inland Steel did? I don't seem to recall any mention of Canadian vessels into Gary, Indiana.

Unread post by guest »

that was the downfall of the ELR when she went down the seaway, coming back in ballast. no revenue hauling water!

Unread post by guest »

i believe the last us flag vessel to haul grain down the seaway ((to montreal) was the dorothy ann/ pathfinder in the 2000s and they returned up bound in ballast

Unread post by Guest »

Without knowing anything further, I would assume that USS straight decker delivering coal to Hamilton was likely on its way down the Seaway for ore after unloading. I also seem to recall many of the USS ships carrying grain down the Seaway while headed for Labrador ore. Logical to assume it was a way to offset the cost of the longer run by limiting miles covered in ballast.

Unread post by guest »

in 1972 i seen a us steel straight decker bring in a load of coal to dofasco in hamilton. rather rare but occasionally it does happen. after all business is business
Denny

Anderson to Nanticoke

Unread post by Denny »

Noticed on AIS the Arthur M. Anderson making a very rare trip to Nanticoke this week! The departed today from the Duluth-Superior area just after 3 P.M. local time and their ETA for Nanticoke is on 9/14 at 1900 right now then for them. Anyone have any ETAs for them at the Soo then for tomorrow 9/12 and Port Huron for 9/13 then? I’ve only seen her once this year so far and with her 70th year logos too but, want to see her yet again! I’m hoping that they will be down the St. Clair before 7 P.M. on 9/13 as I can’t stay now past 7 with it getting darker earlier now! If you have any ETAs for them it would help. Thank You.