Saltwater Reefer Emanuel 1976

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Saltwater Reefer Emanuel 1976

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply and information! I would have never guessed it went to Port Huron. The Emanuel must have gone through the Soo at one point in the mid to late 1970s as I believe the pictures of it in the Know Your Ships book were taken at the Soo Locks.
William Lafferty

Re: Saltwater Reefer Emanuel 1976

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Europe suffered a potato famine of sorts in 1976 and the Emanuel was dispatched in ballast to Port Huron at the behest of a New York potato broker to load 5000 tons of Michigan and Wisconsin spuds for shipment to several European ports. It arrived at Port Huron on 21 October 1976. Emanuel was one of forty-three reefers built 1968-1981 to a basic standard design developed for the transport of fruit by its builder, Drammen Slip & Verksted of Drammen, Norway, for Maritime Fruit Carriers Co., Ltd., of Haifa, Israel. Drammen built twenty-six and three other yards the remainder. Emanuel was built for a subsidiary of its builder, A/S Shipping Enchant of Drammen. As TBreed VII it arrived at Alang, India, 30 June 2004 for demolition by JM Industries Ltd.

Saltwater Reefer Emanuel 1976

Unread post by Guest »

Does anyone know what cargo the Norweigan flagged reefer Emanuel was carrying when it came into the Great Lakes in 1976? I believe the vessel was on its maiden voyage when it first appeared on the lakes and I was wondering what it was carrying or going to load and what ports it visited. I always like the appearance of this vessel for some reason since first seeing it in a late 1970s edition of Know Your Ships.