Whats the picture on the front page? Quarry?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Daniel

Re: Whats the picture on the front page? Quarry?

Unread post by Daniel »

Guest wrote: September 18, 2022, 6:30 pm Actually (trying not to sound like Gilbert Gottfried!), it was the Steelton that collided with the bridge and not the Lehigh.

The Arthur B. Homer was a regular to Picton in the 1960s and up until her lengthening in October 1975.

The Pringle Transit self-unloaders (William R. Roesch and Paul Thayer) made a couple of trips to Picton in the Fall of 1977 during the ore miners strike on the Iron Ranges of Minnesota and Michigan.
So did the Roesch and Thayer's sister ship MV Wolverine just before the iron ore miners strike ended. The Wolverine was the first of six Columbia ships I sailed on and, when first going aboard in Cleveland at J & L Steel, it had just arrived from Picton. The Wolverine's next trip (and my first ever) was a return to Picton to load ore.

Unread post by Guest »

The Picton ore dock looks like it would be a pretty interesting trip for the lake freighters usually operating west of the Welland Canal. The area looks pretty scenic perhaps along the lines of the going into Ashland before they closed the ore loading dock there. Does anyone know what courses ships take going into the Picton docks?

The Steelton accident with the bridge in the Welland Canal took place in 1974 not 1975.

Unread post by Guest »

Actually (trying not to sound like Gilbert Gottfried!), it was the Steelton that collided with the bridge and not the Lehigh.

The Arthur B. Homer was a regular to Picton in the 1960s and up until her lengthening in October 1975.

The Pringle Transit self-unloaders (William R. Roesch and Paul Thayer) made a couple of trips to Picton in the Fall of 1977 during the ore miners strike on the Iron Ranges of Minnesota and Michigan.

Unread post by guest »

in the news item there is a picture of upper lakes shippings ss r bruce angus loading at the picton, dock. so it just wasnt CSL and bethlehem vessels that carried the ore to buffalo. they had huletts that unloaded the straight deckers. some ore was transported in CSL self unloaders also in 1975 when the lehigh knocked down the port robinson bridge some of bethlehems fleet of lakers were "trapped" on lake ontario until the bridge was removed from the welland canal. and yes the ss leigh was a BSC vessel!

Unread post by Guest »

That is the former iron ore conveyor loading dock, that was built by the Marmora Mining Company. Opened in 1955, it supplied iron ore pellets to Bethlehem Steel's steel mill at Lackawanna, New York.

Bethlehem Steel lakers, along with Canada Steamship Lines vessels would load at the dock.

History of the Marmora Mine can be found here: https://www.marmorahistory.ca/the-might ... raton-mine
badger

Unread post by badger »

the photo is what use to be the old iron ore loading dock in picton. the iron ore was railed to the dock from a large open pit mine {owned by bethleham steel} at marmora, ontario and shipped by lake freighters to lackawana, n.y. the cement plant near by {lake ontario cement} also use to ship cement out in rail cars. but when the mine closed down the rails were lifted by C.N. it now is known as picton terminals. its located in prince edward county
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Picton Terminal
RCRVRP

Whats the picture on the front page? Quarry?

Unread post by RCRVRP »

The front page has a ship alongside what appears to be a quarry. Can anyone tell me what and where this is?