Unloading machinery

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Unloading machinery

Unread post by Guest »

On the two Algoma ships Jackman and Cresswell the loop casing and all equipment was outside the accommodation block so you couldn't tell if the gear was running at all, very quiet. On the new Algoma S/U's the same holds true for the most part, once it is running and up to speed they are very quiet and can hardly tell if the unloading gear is running at all.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

The inner rooms along the path of the conveyor can have a fair amount of noise. But many rooms are not too bad.

The noisiest quarters I ever had were the guest quarters on the stern of the tug Presque Isle. Right above those two big Diesels.

No unloading noise though on the PI. The conveyor / rotary are housed on the barge, not the tug.

Also, The SS Alpena had a fair amount of noise in the forward cabins due to a close proximity to the unloading system and vibrators.

But as noted, you can get used to just about anything.
Old Salt

Unread post by Old Salt »

The steamers I sailed on were much quieter than diesels I sailed on.

Unread post by Guest »

It’s noisy no matter where you are on a self unloader as the tunnel runs the length of the cargo hold. I sailed on both types. Crew quarters aft, forward. Boom forward or aft. Now days you take what jobs are available. Ships are noisy places. Vibration, exhaust noise, generators , main engines. You adapt n sleep.
J Crack Corn

Unloading machinery

Unread post by J Crack Corn »

Do Great Lakes sailors prefer a ship with the unloading boom and machinery mounted at the rear of the ship or forward? While operating the immediate area must be loud, dusty and vibrating so living conditions in the area must surely be affected.