Ryerson

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Shipwatcher1

Re: Ryerson

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Guest wrote: October 9, 2022, 8:24 pm Unfortunately the Ryerson, Blough, and Sherwin will never sail again. The Callaway will be modified and will live another day just not in her current form.
You know that as fact for all 3 of these? Ironically I'd say the Ryerson is the safest of the these 3.

Unread post by Guest »

Unfortunately the Ryerson, Blough, and Sherwin will never sail again. The Callaway will be modified and will live another day just not in her current form.

Unread post by Guest »

A hedge against the future. Thanks to their low use they can be modernized and rebuilt into a modern and efficient laker at a significant savings compared to building from scratch. Neither is costing their owners much to sit idle just in case the stars align.
Scott

Ryerson

Unread post by Scott »

I've noticed over the past several years that many a laker has been idled due to economic conditions. Eventually, most of these hulls sail once again and continue to remain productive. The steel industry is demand based, I get that. Now, with all the talk about the fate of the beloved Roger Blough, we've arrived at yet another one of those periods. The Stewart J Cort recently left layup to haul ore once again. Were she able, I'm sure the Blough would be sailing as well. Yet one constant remains through all of these years, the Edward L Ryerson still sits idle in Superior. She hasn't been sent to scrap yet despite all the rumors of a bad economy. I'm curious, even with the Sherwin and the Ryerson being straight deck lakers, why do their owners keep them in storage? Do they anticipate better economic times ahead? Just curious.