Tugs, tows, locks

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
RCRVRP

Re: Tugs, tows, locks

Unread post by RCRVRP »

What I'm wondering is how its done if the tug won't fit in the lock with the boat. Would they use one tug to push it in, then close the lock ,raise the boat and then another tug on the other side of the lock pull it out?
Or would they pull it in, disconnect the lines, then close the lock. and after raising the same tug hook on and pull it out?

Or some other way?

Unread post by Guest »

badger wrote: November 4, 2022, 12:16 pm in 2000 i saw thr great lakes trader being towed up bound in the welland canal bt 3 group ocean tugs. above lock 7 VTBs own tug got in the stern notch and pushed thr barge after that, lock 8 at port colborne is over 800 ft long. it was a slow transit thru locks 1 to 7. the 3 group ocean tugs returned downbound after handing over the barge to VTB above lock 7
What three tugs? I was there that day and saw the duo between Locks 1 and 7. Joyce L. VanEnkevort would push between the locks and the one Group Ocean tug following would get in when in the locks, and Joyce would back out. I don't remember three tugs being around that day.
badger

Unread post by badger »

in 2000 i saw thr great lakes trader being towed up bound in the welland canal bt 3 group ocean tugs. above lock 7 VTBs own tug got in the stern notch and pushed thr barge after that, lock 8 at port colborne is over 800 ft long. it was a slow transit thru locks 1 to 7. the 3 group ocean tugs returned downbound after handing over the barge to VTB above lock 7

Unread post by Guest »

Have seen numerous full size lake ships towed through the Welland Canal accompanied with three tugs. Special procedures followed for lockage with the tugs positioned forward and aft of tow. It is indeed a slow process to lock through.
RCRVRP

Tugs, tows, locks

Unread post by RCRVRP »

If a ship is disabled and needs to be towed to a repair facility or to a scrapper and to get to that destination requires going through a lock and its too big to share a lock chamber with the towing tug how do they get it in and back out?