James R Barker / William Hoey

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: James R Barker / William Hoey

Unread post by Guest »

Ok that’s good to know. I stand corrected. My apologies. It just always seems quiet around there when I drive by and seldom see them on the river. Good people. Hope they stay around long time.
A guest who knows

Unread post by A guest who knows »

Guest wrote: November 5, 2022, 4:38 pm That area is frequently used for refueling. Gaelic tug had a bunkering barge but they are pretty much out of business now. When Bill Hoey passed and lack of business they kind of dropped out. Maybe they still use one tug when called. At one time they were very busy and profitable. I worked for them many years ago. The old man taught me a lot that helped in my eventual big ship career. No contact with them in years.
Gaelic Tugboat is very much NOT! or close to being out of business and are very much busy with the work they have.

The William Hoey was out fueling the Barker at the Anchorage. They usually do fuelings out at the Belle Isle anchorage if the fuel dock at Mistersky has a vessel there or it is a saltie.

Unread post by Guest »

That area is frequently used for refueling. Gaelic tug had a bunkering barge but they are pretty much out of business now. When Bill Hoey passed and lack of business they kind of dropped out. Maybe they still use one tug when called. At one time they were very busy and profitable. I worked for them many years ago. The old man taught me a lot that helped in my eventual big ship career. No contact with them in years.

Unread post by Guest »

The Barker was anchored in the middle of the Detroit River just below Belle Isle. I was in Windsor at the time and I could only see the back end of the Hoey. I checked AIS and it showed the Barker and the Hoey, there was no mention of a barge. If a barge was there it was on the Detroit side of the Barker where I couldn’t see it. When I got back to Detroit several hours later both vessels were gone.

Unread post by Guest »

Just the tug or did they have the barge? If barge probably refueling. No barge Maybe delivered big parts or supplies.🤷🏼‍♂️ What part of the river?

Unread post by Guest »

Probably refueling.

James R Barker / William Hoey

Unread post by Guest »

I saw the James R Barker anchored in the Detroit River this morning. The tug William Hoey was next to it on the port side stern. I don’t know how long it was there, does anyone know why the ship and tug were anchored there?