new discusion board

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: new discusion board

Unread post by Guest »

Being in IT myself it's important to keep a website patched with the latest software patches and bug fixes for any type of software installed on it. The bad guys are always trying to find new ways to break into a site, especially with the increase in global tensions since last Winter.

Many times, existing software is no longer supported, either because the company that produced it went out of business, or was bought out by a larger company and discontinued.

The old discussion board was outdated and no longer supported, so it was good that it was replaced. Personally, Wordpress can be fine, as long as it's kept up to date with the latest security and bugfixes.

The software phpBB is used across the internet and is well supported. As long as it's kept up to date and patched, it should serve the Boatnerd website well for the next few years at least.

I'd like to add that I'm happy to see that the phpBB Discussion Board is using HTTPS and not HTTP.

Unread post by guest »

johnnyb you are correct the date is oct 3rd, today is nov 21 that is a long time between posts. doubt if railroad forums go that long between posts.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

From my point of view, there have recently been three Boatnerd forums.

1) the old one. No longer available. Replaced by #3.
2) the new discussion forum. Little used, many seem to dislike it. I thought it was OK. Still available.
3) the newest discussion forum. This one!! One day I thought I was going to the old forum, and this one showed up instead. It was surprising (at least to me). Seems good.
JohnnyB

Unread post by JohnnyB »

@RogerKYS, I just checked the new forum and the most recent post viewable is from October 3rd. It does seem very seldom used to me.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Boatnerd's users spoke with their actions. For a variety of reasons, users did not like the Wordpress-based discussion board. Based on where they post, they appear to prefer to use this older phpBB format.

From a moderator's viewpoint, the Wordpress discussion board would receive 100 or so spam messages per day, while this one normally receives about 1/10 of that amount. All have to be manually deleted by volunteers.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

I am not sure what you mean. There have been many many posts since then.

new discusion board

Unread post by guest »

the new and improved discusion board seems to be a dud. over 6 weeks and no postings. if its not broke why fix it? as some people say "just my opinion of course"