ELR

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: ELR

Unread post by Guest »

Nothing is for sure until you see a formal announcement and even then there’s no guarantee. When you see it under power for a loading location then you can jump up n down.
Guestq

Unread post by Guestq »

Guest wrote: December 27, 2022, 2:03 pm Since shipping this new iron product requires new material handling systems in a boat, why not it in a rail car. Most of the EAF's aren't located on the water but inland and probably served by rail lines. Just have a car dumper at the plant.

The only one mill I can think of that could use this boat is Algoma at the Sault. But even that plant has a rail line. Am I missing something?

The new thread states she will sail for Algoma. I guess I got lucky with that guess!
Don_Detloff

Unread post by Don_Detloff »

Jon Paul wrote: December 31, 2022, 9:04 am
Guest wrote: December 28, 2022, 3:31 am Just dreaming - maybe not replacing the Mather but IMO she'd sure look better than the Col. James M. Schoonmaker Museum Ship in Toledo.

People will always travel to see beauty! No offense Col. Schoonmaker.
I think the Schoonmaker looks great in her original Shenango Furnace colors.
I agree. I can't imagine anyone thinking the Col. James M. Schoonmaker doesn't look great.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Guest wrote: December 28, 2022, 3:31 am Just dreaming - maybe not replacing the Mather but IMO she'd sure look better than the Col. James M. Schoonmaker Museum Ship in Toledo.

I think the Schoonmaker looks great in her original Shenango Furnace colors.

Unread post by Guest »

In an ideal world, if the Ryerson were going to be a museum ship, it ought to be in Manitowoc, WI as the last (and best) one built by Manitowoc Shipbuilding. In the real world - not very likely to happen there.
Guest II

Unread post by Guest II »

The Mather would look beautiful if she were in her original colors.

Unread post by Guest »

Just dreaming - maybe not replacing the Mather but IMO she'd sure look better than the Col. James M. Schoonmaker Museum Ship in Toledo.

Unread post by guest »

making the elr into a museum is like throwing money into a hole in the water. how many floating museums actually even come close to covering the operating expenses? maybe the valley camp at the soo, but thats about it. to many broken hearts out there. would they pay to take a tour of any type of museum ship? the truth is not to many of them.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: December 27, 2022, 5:07 pm Given those sizes, I can see where self-unloaders would have problems discharging this type of cargo as they did with natural ores and never really caught on in the ore trade until it became dominated by taconite pellets. Could this bring about a return of crane vessels on the lakes at some time in the future?
If there is a steady source of supply and a regular enough demand you might see one with a crane. I'd imagine that they'd go with a crane on a barge though. that would be your cheapest way to do it.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: December 27, 2022, 7:49 pm Or swap her with an existing museum boat! She would look so good next to the Cleveland Science Center and Rock Hall.

Sorry but she's just so much better looking than the Mather.
What's her connection to Cleveland?

Unread post by Guest »

Or swap her with an existing museum boat! She would look so good next to the Cleveland Science Center and Rock Hall.

Sorry but she's just so much better looking than the Mather.

Unread post by Guest »

If your going to barge her just put the torch to her and get one of those Van Enkvort type floating bathtubs don’t ruin the Ryerson find a museum to take her!

Unread post by Guest »

Given those sizes, I can see where self-unloaders would have problems discharging this type of cargo as they did with natural ores and never really caught on in the ore trade until it became dominated by taconite pellets. Could this bring about a return of crane vessels on the lakes at some time in the future?

Unread post by Guest »

The mainstream fleets around the lakes have clearly spoken by their actions as they've modernized their vessels. I see little reason to be concerned about her being barged instead of going the conventional route that all the other big fleets around the lakes have gone with.

And every cent that the price of fuel rises, the natural inefficiencies of an ATB become even more of a hindrance.

Unread post by Guest »

Since shipping this new iron product requires new material handling systems in a boat, why not it in a rail car. Most of the EAF's aren't located on the water but inland and probably served by rail lines. Just have a car dumper at the plant.

The only one mill I can think of that could use this boat is Algoma at the Sault. But even that plant has a rail line. Am I missing something?

Unread post by Guest »

A conversion to a barge makes more sense from an economic standpoint than re-powering. Plenty of used Tugs can be bought for less than the an expensive re-powering. Paying a crew of 10 to 12 to sit around while she is unloaded is way cheaper than 18 or so on a boat that will take a long time to unload.

Tragic though from a boatnerd point of view
IMO she is perhaps the best looking ore boat ever to sail the Great Lakes.

Unread post by Guest »

Jon Paul wrote: December 25, 2022, 3:16 pm ELR has large hatch openings of 54' x 20' compared to the other boats of its era like Homer, Fitzgerald and others at 48' x 11'. My understanding is that modifications are being considered but not sure what that means whether structurally or re-powering.
I had heard they were considering a Pathfinder like conversion.

I hope they can find a way to run her ‘as is!’
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

ELR has large hatch openings of 54' x 20' compared to the other boats of its era like Homer, Fitzgerald and others at 48' x 11'. My understanding is that modifications are being considered but not sure what that means whether structurally or re-powering.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: December 20, 2022, 2:02 pm
Guest wrote: December 20, 2022, 7:07 am Perhaps we will find that the ELR has been sold to another fleet.
Perhaps, but I predict her Leslie’s will be heard again!
Close as well get…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EYYRLGPRDYY

Unread post by Guest »

Ryerson hatches are 22’ wide. They used 3 clams in Lorain (3) and were able to unload her in 24 hours.