soo coal dock

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: soo coal dock

Unread post by Guest »

The coal that was unloaded above the locks could have been used at the old tannery.

https://www.loc.gov/item/2016795924/
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

The Reiss coal dock above the locks is being used as a staging area for the new lock project. I can't remember the last time a vessel unloaded coal there, maybe the early 80s. The pilot boats are now based in Brimley on the Waiska River. At the moment, due to ice, they are operating from the MCM dock in the lower harbor. Many years ago there was a coal dock in the harbor where Soo Locks Campground is now. They have a picture of it in their office. Don't know it it was Reiss dock or not. There were many coal companies back in the day. Mt grandfather worked for Pittsburgh Coal Co (Lime Island) and Kemp Bros (in the Soo where the Valley Camp is now).

Unread post by Guest »

Above or below the locks? Reiss is below. Don't the pilot boats dock above the locks, in Brimley? Pittsburgh Coal used to have a dock above the locks.

Unread post by Guest »

C. Reiss is correct in listing it as active. It may no longer receive coal but it is the base of operations for the contractors building the new Soo lock.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Green's Marine Directory of the Great Lakes, 1938 edition says the dock (Pittsburgh Coal Co at the time) had two McMyler "whirlies" with 75 foot booms and 2 ton clamshell buckets and one McMyler "whirley" with a 48 foot boom and 1.5 ton bucket. Overall unloading capacity was 1800 tons per 10 hours (for all three).

1952 and 1962 Shipmasters Association Directories show the same unloading equipment but the dock owner was then North Western - Hanna Fuel Co.

As I understand it, whirley means any crane that can rotate 360 degrees on its base. The base can be crawler tracks, wheels, a low level self-propelled rail mounting (ie a locomotive crane) or a high level gantry mounted typically on rails (gantry crane). It appears that McMyler Interstate produced all of the above styles during their history. Without seeing a photo, it is hard to determine what style were at that dock.

I do find it interesting the C. Reiss Coal still lists the Sault Ste. Marie MI dock as active in their ads in Great Lakes/Seaway Review.
statmk

Unread post by statmk »

That is the old C. Reiss Coal Dock. I believe it still owns the real estate. Not been used since the 1970s/80s.
badger

soo coal dock

Unread post by badger »

above the soo locks, where the pilit boat docks, were there bridge cranes for unloading coal? that would of been the 40s 50s when almost every home was heated by a coal fired furnace or boiler. thank you seasons greetings