Ryerson

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Shipwatcher1

Re: Ryerson

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Guest wrote: May 11, 2023, 11:08 am I think that you will find that the deal for tje boat s still very ,much alive. It appears that the pellet demand and steel demand have gone soft for Agoma. Until that changes, it would be foolish to start the charter. Some work continues on the boat. The only people who seem to have given up on this deal is some of te readers. The people who count have not.
JERRY
That would make sense seeing as work was continuous in the engine room for almost 4 months. I don't see them spending that kind of time on it unless there was some future there.

Unread post by Guest »

I think that you will find that the deal for tje boat s still very ,much alive. It appears that the pellet demand and steel demand have gone soft for Agoma. Until that changes, it would be foolish to start the charter. Some work continues on the boat. The only people who seem to have given up on this deal is some of te readers. The people who count have not.
JERRY
BN Volunteer

Unread post by BN Volunteer »

Just a reminder that attempting to discredit or ridicule other posters by actual or user name is not acceptable behavior for this forum. Numerous posts have been deleted from this thread because they were construed by us moderators to be personal attacks or attempts to ridicule other posters. Other deleted posts included language that is not appropriate for this family-friendly forum. And a few posts were deleted since they perpetuated assumptions that had repeatedly been shown to be incorrect by numerous posters in this tread (in other words the poster didn't bother to read previous responses).

These forums have long allowed anonymous postings to provide those individuals within the Great Lakes shipping industry to share information without fear of retaliation. But providing anonymity has a trade off. It means that forum users have no way to tell who a poster actually is and how reliable their information posted might be. So when items like this one about the Ryerson are posted, it is up to the reader to make their own decision as to how much is rumor and how much is fact. Often time the only way to know for sure is to wait for months, or even years to see how things play out.

Also please keep in mind that like within any other business or industry, plans can change. Someone may post something that was 100% true at the time, but it might not come to pass due to factors such as changing economic conditions, new management, or the results of extensive physical inspections.

All this makes it difficult for us as volunteer moderators to determine what should and shouldn't be posted to threads like this. We don't want to stifle discussion, but we must continue to uphold our pledge to maintain this as a family-friendly site where everyone, from novice boatnerd to seasoned mariner, are welcome.

A Boatnerd volunteer moderator

Unread post by Guest »

As I previously posted. Those who posted that she was definitely sailing could possibly bring us up to date but they are silent. Where did you hear work was stopped? Reliable source of just someone without real info?

Unread post by Guest »

Would be interesting to find out if either the costs to break her out were too high or if the customer that was asking about her changed their mind - cancelled a project for example.

Unread post by Guest »

Dunno. Maybe all those who swore the Ryerson would sail this year can enlighten us.
Shipwatcher1

Word is the plug has been pulled on whatever is going on. Anyone up that way have any confirmation one way or the other?
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

Nothing going on with a ferry build at fraser, there’s a tug in drydock now. Ryerson at the face of the dock.

Unread post by guest »

how is the newbuild ferry coming along in superior, or is it?

Unread post by Guest »

Any updates?
Shipwatcher1

I would suspect the actual survey of the hull is not really the issue she would have in returning to service. Getting the engine room operational is going to be the huge task, and that does not need the drydock to happen. Recent photos still show the portable boiler on her deck is active, so clearly engine room work is still happening.
Gman

Unread post by Gman »

Ryerson will be in drydock later in the year than most of us expected. A few more months until she will be put in

Unread post by Guest »

You can see the Ryerson in one of the traffic cameras in Superior for the I-535 EB (Blatnik Approach)
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

The ryerson is not in drydock yet it’s still sitting in the slip where it’s been all winter.

Unread post by Guest »

Even if the Ryerson runs this year there is nothing saying it won't be later in the year. It might even be better because they can work the kinks out in layup that much sooner. You know that after 14 years stuff is just going to pop up out of nowhere!

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: January 7, 2023, 1:23 pm
guest wrote: January 6, 2023, 7:10 pm why would algoma charter a aged steamer when the got rid of the ones they owned outright? and as far as the skipper is concerned the man you mentioned is now a marine pilot. i rather doubt he would give up his pilotage job to go back skipper only to be layed off some time in the future. im sure shes on the hit list for mrc in port colborne
Algoma might be trying to free a bottom currently hauling pellets to Hamilton for the more lucrative seaway runs. I would guess a Superior to Hamilton run for fast Eddie!
Yup!

Unread post by Guest »

The Mariner is underway. If the Ryerson goes into the drydock that will be a positive sign.

Unread post by guest »

we will soon see if the reyerson goes on the drydock when the american mariner comes off. time is ticking
Gortado

Unread post by Gortado »

I made a typo in my last comment. I meant to say "wish" instead of "with"
Gortado

Unread post by Gortado »

Yes, the people who gave me this information are employees in CML. But those people with to stay anonymous