Ryerson

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Ryerson

Unread post by Guest »

Do you have some inside track to this information of definite dry docking?
Gortado

Unread post by Gortado »

Work is still being done on her. They're waiting for the Mariner's work to be finished before putting her in the drydock slip for an inspection
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Has any further activity been observed aboard her? Been rather quiet lately it seems

Unread post by Guest »

If they are giving her a once over, I'm sure the AIS is one item on a VERY long checklist they have to go through. So they flipped it on, it was on for a while, then they finished their work and turned it off.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: February 13, 2023, 3:01 am It was, but appears to be off again, per Marinetraffic.com.
Guest wrote: February 6, 2023, 9:04 pm Has anyone else noticed that the Ryerson’s AIS is active?
Perhaps just testing range?

Unread post by Guest »

It was, but appears to be off again, per Marinetraffic.com.
Guest wrote: February 6, 2023, 9:04 pm Has anyone else noticed that the Ryerson’s AIS is active?

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote: February 10, 2023, 8:39 am wouldnt it make more sense to have a tug and 2 barges haul the cargo from toledo to the sault than have a steamer wait until it is unloaded? im sure the crew would like the idea but not the people in the office. in the 70s there was a similiar operation between quebec ciity and forestville. leave a barge to be loaded {with pulp wood from a flume} and tow or push the loaded barge to quebec city to be unloaded. perhaps jack purvis might have an iron in the fire, so to speak.or even lower lakes towing, after all towing is in their name. think about it!
That is actually a really good idea. It's going to take a a long time to unload. The Tug could be returning Toledo with a empty. Better than paying 20 crew members 24 hours pay total it out with either magnets or buckets. Plenty of Tugs and barges are probably available right now somewhere in the states.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: February 10, 2023, 11:29 am There is no viable proof the Ryerson will sail much less haul from Toledo to the soo. Nothing except faceless assumptions and scuttlebutt by well wishers to see her puff smoke on the open water again. I hope it does come out but not optimistic. I defer to the post here by CML president
I agree, there’s nothing definitive. But as stated by CML, ‘the old gal needs some attention, and that’s what we’re doing.’

They would not be paying that much ‘attention’ to her if there weren’t a strong potential for operating her. No one would assume the costs of fitting a long mothballed vessel without a very close inspection. That seems to be the process they are in now. The fact that the AIS became active for several days seems a good sign. In the grand scheme of things, an AIS is cheep! Seems you would be a long way into your inspection to start checking inexpensive items (like an AIS).

I know this entire thread is ‘speculation’. But it’s fun speculating.

Unread post by Guest »

There is no viable proof the Ryerson will sail much less haul from Toledo to the soo. Nothing except faceless assumptions and scuttlebutt by well wishers to see her puff smoke on the open water again. I hope it does come out but not optimistic. I defer to the post here by CML president

Unread post by guest »

wouldnt it make more sense to have a tug and 2 barges haul the cargo from toledo to the sault than have a steamer wait until it is unloaded? im sure the crew would like the idea but not the people in the office. in the 70s there was a similiar operation between quebec ciity and forestville. leave a barge to be loaded {with pulp wood from a flume} and tow or push the loaded barge to quebec city to be unloaded. perhaps jack purvis might have an iron in the fire, so to speak.or even lower lakes towing, after all towing is in their name. think about it!

Unread post by Guest »

Has anyone else noticed that the Ryerson’s AIS is active?

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: February 6, 2023, 12:18 pm WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE PREVIOUS CHIEF THAT POSTED THIS MESSAGE ABOUT THE SPECIAL PROJECT
The post can be found on the S.S. Edward L. Ryerson Facebook Page.

Unread post by Guest »

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE PREVIOUS CHIEF THAT POSTED THIS MESSAGE ABOUT THE SPECIAL PROJECT

Unread post by Guest »

It sounds to me just as the CML president said in his post here. They are attending to some issues. That could be anything from service and maintenance for continued long term lay up. Could be prep for possible sale. Perhaps for eventual conversion or sail as is.🤷🏼‍♂️ Read into and/or assume whatever you want. The head bosses words seemed genuine to me.

Unread post by Guest »

One on the previous chief engineers of the Ryerson posted on social media that he and another ex-chief are in Superior ‘on a special project’. Sounds suspiciously like a refit.
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

This is likely going to be the make or break point in time for the Ryerson. I'd bet if she doesn't make it out now, she never will because of the work that will be required.

Unread post by Guest »

Is it the weight of briquettes that makes them undesirable for self unloaders or size? I've seen furnace coke at +4 inches being moved by self-unloaders.

Unread post by Guest »

Well there you have it from the top man himself. The guy who is in charge and writes the checks for CML. Doesn’t sound like “ she will sail for sure” now does it. I hope it does but again, until it’s headed for its first loading dock or there’s an “ official” announcement it’s a waiting game.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Tom Wiater, president of Central Marine Logistics, posted this explanation on Facebook.

I’m sorry to report that dry docking is not confirmed. I asked for the video to be taken down. When I have something definite, good or bad, to report - I will. Everything else at this point is just speculation. Everyone in the “know” doesn’t post anything cause there isn’t much to tell at the point. The old gal needs some attention, and that’s what we are doing. Taking care of a few odds and ends.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: January 29, 2023, 2:58 am Hmmmm….. why would the video be removed? Call me a skeptic but I’ll believe it when it’s underway to her first loading port. Too many moving parts to this story🤷🏼‍♂️
She's sailing. You can choose to believe or not.