2023 Fit-Out

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: 2023 Fit-Out

Unread post by Guest »

So all but 2 of the combined American Steamship/Grand River fleet are sailing?
If so, having only 3 US flag boats laid up is quite remarkable.

The industry will now be hard pressed to find reliefs this season.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

American Spirit departed their layup in Superior early this morning and from the AIS maps, it appeared they were headed up to Two Harbors to load. All of the ASC footers are now out from their Winter Layups and running! The Speer and the Clarke are both in layup in Toledo however, both of which should be leaving soon. There’s still two in layup from the Grand River fleet the Calumet and the tug Olive L. Moore & barge Menominee all of them still in layup in Toledo. The Algoma Buffalo is still laid up yet in Owen Sound. That is about it on the layup list as far as ships that are usually out sailing each season. I left out ones in long-term layup such as the Ryerson and the Sherwin because each of which have been in long-term layup along with the American Valor as another one and the J.A.W. Iglehart as well. If I missed anymore in layup, my apology for not including them here on this list. Adding to the list, is the Cason J. Callaway still in layup in Sturgeon Bay yet they’ve not sailed since 2020. The barge McKee Sons and tug Invincible both remain in layup as is the Tecumseh and Roger Blough both of which were damaged by fire years ago while laid up.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: April 16, 2023, 12:40 pm Is the American Spirit done for, it has a reported destination of MRC Port Colborne?
That was the captain screwing around.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: April 16, 2023, 12:40 pm Is the American Spirit done for, it has a reported destination of MRC Port Colborne?
I think someone onboard the American Spirit did it as a joke.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

No, as reported in a previous post on this board. Just that somebody has a sense of humor I guess. They should be out either later this month or in early May. At one point I had them due into Cleveland in early May. So, that I would then think should mean they’d be out in late April sometime.

Unread post by Guest »

Is the American Spirit done for, it has a reported destination of MRC Port Colborne?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Speer is also starting to wake up and let out a roar if you will from their long Winter Nap as well. They should also be departing layup in Toledo soon probably by the end of the month and the Manitowoc in Toledo was due to load at CSX Coal Dock in Toledo during this weekend sometime. They too are also waking up from their long Winter Nap as well.

Unread post by Guest »

Noticed on Boatnerd AIS Philip R. Clarke is waking up from her winter hibernation. She's due into Two Harbors May 3d. This is welcoming news considering I've read on multiple posts in Facebook groups that she was going to sit out this season.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Companies arent going to fit out ships just to have them sit on the hook or wait out weather. Unlike most years when heavy spring ice is the culprit, this year it is the heavy winds. Things have been backed up at Duluth/Superior for well over a week now and the stone ports are just starting to open up.
Surprisingly Marquette has been very busy early considering its exposure on open Lake Superior but Tilden Pellets are in big demand and being shipped steadily to Dearborn, Toledo Torco and CBT and I believe the Soo.
Warmer and more temperate winds are forecast for the upcoming week and with it the scheduling will smooth out and I think you will see more boats leaving layup.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Both the Presque Isle and the Algoma Sault departed from their Winter Layup Ports and are now out sailing. The tug Albert and barge Margaret are also out sailing having departed their layup in Milwaukee recently.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The American Spirit will be sailing sometime either later this month or sometime then in May. They are on the Port of Cleveland expected arrivals list for early May sometime of course as always, subject to change.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: April 2, 2023, 1:59 pm Word is Speer has engine repair needed. Maybe May 1st for fit out.

Is the Presque Isle their least efficient 1000 footer?

Unread post by Guest »

Well one advantage to late fit outs is that vacations will be easier to cover.

Unread post by Guest »

Word is Speer has engine repair needed. Maybe May 1st for fit out.
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

Clarke will probably run this year but not the callaway. Callaway needs too much work to be done to sail again,there was taik last season that she was sold but don’t know if that was just a rumor.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

No for the Callaway and as for the Clarke, not sure just yet? The Callaway needs lots of steel work done to her if I recall from previous posts? Sounds like she may be about done and possibly at the end of the line. Too much money to try and invest into her as far as doing any internal work on her sad to say. To go off subject, Why then is the Speer and Presque Isle both still in layup? Is there a problem with either one as far as them both sitting idle? Also, why isn’t two of the ASC Footers Walter J. McCarthy Jr. and also the American Spirit not sailing yet? I know the Spirit ran on one engine last year and don’t know if they got that issue fixed or not? Finally, Why aren’t some of the LLT/GRN boats out and running yet? The Cuyahoga, American Courage, Calumet, Manitowoc, tug Victory and the tug Olive L. Moore are all still laid up yet. The H. Lee White I know is at Don Jon in Erie but, they too should be done there I’d think and be out sailing soon.

Unread post by Guest »

So is either Calloway or Clarke sailing this season?
Guest wrote: March 29, 2023, 11:11 am Here’s a few boats that I can come up with that so far have not yet sailed for the 2023 shipping season. However, we’re still in late March yet so I’m sure there will be more to sail as we get into April. So far, the limestone docks have yet to be opened up and going.

Here’s who’s still in layup and not fitting out yet

American Spirit
Indiana Harbor
Walter J. McCarthy Jr.
Edgar B. Speer
Presque Isle
Philip R. Clarke
American Courage
Calumet
Manitowoc
Olive L. Moore/Menominee
Victory/Maumee
H. Lee White
Cuyahoga
Kaministiqua
Manitoulin
Michipicoten
Robert S. Pierson
Saginaw
Algoma Buffalo
Algoma Discovery
Algoma Equinox
John D. Leitch they will be sailing very soon
Tug Albert and barge Margaret
Tug Michigan and barge Great Lakes
Clyde S. VanEnkevort and Erie Trader they will be sailing very soon
Tug Sea Eagle II and barge St. Mary’s Cement II
Tug Bradshaw McKee and barge St. Mary’s Conquest
Tug Caroline McKee and barge Commander

These are a few of them as the list is very long and extensive! I’ll add more as I think of them and perhaps someone else can add a few to this list as well. Hope this helps out.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Guest as I saw that right after I had posted that one here. Sorry for the error and mistake in their layup port and thanks for correcting that one as well!

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote: March 30, 2023, 5:08 pm The John D. Leitch is now out having departed from Hamilton today and their lay up.
They laid up in Port Colborne.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The John D. Leitch is now out having departed from Hamilton today and their lay up.