2023 Fit-Out

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Geest

Re: 2023 Fit-Out

Unread post by Geest »

The ASC boats in Toledo are all crewing up now, so maybe a week or so until they leave. Not sure about the two in Sturgeon Bay or the Spirit in Duluth
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

It seems that I've noticed the past few seasons that ASC or American Steamship have been fitting out and sailing their 1,000 footer much later than in previous years. I suppose this may have to do with the future of coal cargoes declining at some point? As for other companies other than Interlake not publishing their fit-outs online and to the public, I would be grateful that Interlake even publishes such a list to the general public! Companies such as Interlake and others do not have to publish this type of Information to the public per their choosing has it could be a Security Issue with the companies themselves. I'm sure that many companies and PR people have certain rules and regulations that they must follow. Surely nobody and especially any PR people would want to have anything happen with them as far as Job Security is concerned. I recall years ago before Rand took over ASC, there once was a Fit-Out and Sailing List published by ASC on their website. Now however, since Rand took over ASC that lists is no longer made public by them then! Back to my earlier comments here, maybe Rand and others do not wish to make the Fit-Out information public to anyone. Just my two cents only on this and hope my view points make some sense too.
Bailey

Unread post by Bailey »

Sturgeon bay ships.
Edwin gott and John Munson have steam up. Wilfred Sykes has smoke coming out today and liferings have been hung .

Unread post by Guest »

So no news on any other fleet other than Interlake? Seems that the customers must like Interlake if all their boats are sailing.

None of the other companies seem to have much public information available nor do they update their websites. Did they lay off their PR people?

Surprised no one has posted anything - the engineers should be reporting to any boat planning to be at the SOO Locks when they open in 12 days.

Unread post by Guest »

I don’t recall reading anyone predicting THIS will be a down year. What I’ve read in various posts is that the overall future will be one of less cargo and fewer operational ships on the American side. As for the US economy? Even the fed is predicting recession pressures will dampen the economy starting later this year. If that turns out to be true you will see ships at the wall. Orders for manufactured goods dropped a considerable amount last month. You only have to look at the past 40 years to see the decline in Great Lakes shipping on the American side. It will continue due to various factors. Those of us who were in the industry watched as jobs went away at an alarming rate. I was lucky to sail until retirement. Many of my friends were not. Enjoy what you view today in ships.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: March 8, 2023, 7:29 pm It looks like Interlake has published their fit-out schedule and all vessels are fitting out in March. Good to see all of them running from the start which is much better than 2022 when LAT and Stewart J Cort sat at the wall a while.

http://www.interlake-steamship.com/imag ... hedule.pdf
But all the experts here are saying this is a down year.

Unread post by Guest »

It looks like Interlake has published their fit-out schedule and all vessels are fitting out in March. Good to see all of them running from the start which is much better than 2022 when LAT and Stewart J Cort sat at the wall a while.

http://www.interlake-steamship.com/imag ... hedule.pdf

Unread post by Guest »

DOROTHY ANN/PATHFINDER is out of her brief layup and is doing the Cleveland shuttle.

Any other fit out news - engine crews should be starting to report soon, no?

2023 Fit-Out

Unread post by Guest »

Any news on reporting dates yet? Rumors on boats possibly late in fitting out?