The lookout..

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: The lookout..

Unread post by Guest »

They all use cameras and have for years with the advent of technology and smaller crews graced by the CG. I certainly spent lots of time looking at camera monitors in the wheelhouse as mate before retiring 4 years ago. We SELDOM had a bow lookout. The crows nest up forward sat empty and lonely.A watchman in the pilothouse met the requirements. I never observed a bow lookout on the remaining forward enders in the past several years. Hundreds of river passings with an advantageous view.

Unread post by Guest »

Look at today’s Port Reports and zoom in the pic of the Block and you will see a lookout posted.
It is still required in confined spaces. I sometimes do see no one at the bow of some boats but they could be in the shack or as I have heard, sometimes at the window in the pilot house.

Unread post by Guest »

I know of no vessel running bow cameras in confined waters. There were those who wanted to do it years ago, but USCG would not allow it.
hayhugh

Unread post by hayhugh »

Who operates the bow camera and do they have other duties? How big a screen for average bow camera? Sound?

Unread post by Guest »

They are required to carry lookouts in constricted waters. There are regulations about navigation in certain waters that require lookouts

Unread post by Guest »

I live here on the lower Detroit River area. Get lots of up close views of boats all season. It’s been years since I’ve seen a human lookout on the bow in restricted waters. The crows nest on the aft quarters ships sits MT. They all use bow mounted cameras now. Very seldom see anyone on deck at all except rare occasion where they’re getting ready to dock.
hayhugh

Unread post by hayhugh »

So a lookout is no longer a legal requirement in close quarter navigation!

Unread post by Guest »

hayhugh wrote: March 26, 2023, 8:23 am Has the lookout with no other duties been replaced by radar?
The Master is responsible to assure there is adequate lookout to prevent collisions. Investigators into a collision WILL ask if a lookout was posted. No piece of equipment absolves the master from avoiding a collision. Nor does a human lookout with no other duties.
hayhugh

The lookout..

Unread post by hayhugh »

Has the lookout with no other duties been replaced by radar?