USLSS question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: USLSS question

Unread post by guest »

Appreciate the info!!
BrassTack

Unread post by BrassTack »

The USLSS was largely a volunteer service for many years. In volunteer services, families often play a large role. Even today on the Volunteer Fire Department that I have served for close to 30 years, families get involved. The firefighters are very grateful for the refreshments, traffic control, and general gopher duties provided by spouses and older children. I suspect it was the same with the USLSS.

I still have not located that picture/article but will keep looking.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

No, no women were officially employed by the Lifesaving Service. However, a mother and a daughter were awarded the service's silver medal for a rescue on the East Coast. Family members of the service members and lighthouse keepers have participated in numerous rescues along the coasts but few have been officially recognized for their deeds with notable exception to this pair. I'll ask Bob McGreevy more the next time I see him.
BrassTack

Unread post by BrassTack »

While doing some reading on the use of Lyle Guns, I saw a picture that definitely showed some women involved in the rescue of a stranded ship from a shore based operation. And, the caption read that the team depicted was a part of the United States Life Saving Service.

Lyle Guns were line throwing guns, basically short barreled cannons, used in shore based rescue operations until the 1950's.

I cannot seem to locate that article on line anymore, but if I find it I will try to post a link.

USLSS question

Unread post by guest »

I'm trying to do a little research for a presentation and I am trying to determine if women were ever employed by the US Life Saving Service in any capacity. I'd be very shocked to learn that they were involved directly in any rescues, but I am wondering if they had any role in a support capacity, such as administrative etc. Any info appreciated.