Cuyahoga

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
badger

Re: Cuyahoga

Unread post by badger »

is rand a pubilcaly traded company and on what stock exchange? and yes their fleet {us and canadian flag} is down 4 or 5 vessels from their hay day a number of years ago. at one time wasnt levy invovled with LLT?
CSLFAN

Unread post by CSLFAN »

She is flagged Canadian so I assume the Canadian Transportation Board would investigate and issue a report and she still shows as "parked" in Canada.

Unread post by Guest »

I do not think anyone has implied that Rand is a “boogie man”. However, the Mariner and Boland both recently had serious hull damage and now a fire. It does tarnish their reputation though.

Unread post by Guest »

Why would Rand be secretive to their investors? That makes no sense as it would get them in huge trouble with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

Rand is not the boogie man that some are trying to portray them to be. Just because the Cuyahoga had a fire and Rand hasn't released a public statement doesn't mean something nefarious is going on. Rand is under no obligation to tell the public what happened onboard the Cuyahoga. Saying that, they will most likely mention it in their next quarterly/yearly statement as it would impact revenues going forward.

Unread post by Guest »

I’m pretty sure Rands “ investors “ know of will know “ what’s going on”. What’s the secret to the three boats you mentioned going to scrap? Worn out ships removed from the balance sheet for scrap value.
Geest

Unread post by Geest »

Rand likely won't say a word about it, bad press will spook their investors. Same with the groundings on the Boland and Mariner or scrapping the Mississagi or Manistee or Ojibway

Unread post by Guest »

Go to the American Bureau of Shipping's website for their free online database. Type in name of ship and click on "Findings". https://www.eagle.org/portal/#/absrecord/search . You can read how worn out the McKee Sons tanks/cargo hold are. I'm personally surprised she hasn't been sold for scrap, but the family that owns it may be keeping it for sentimental reasons.
CSLFAN

Unread post by CSLFAN »

In the case of the MV Tecumseh fire December 15, 2019 I don't recall seeing news releases from LLT / Rand on the cause of the fire or any future plans .There is a very detailed report on the Internet from the Transportation Board of Canada and is even more informative than the U.S. Board report on the Blough fire. I believe Tecumseh is in Ashtabula Ohio listed as long term. I spent a lot of time on Cuyahoga when she was J.Burton Ayers and a fire was never on my mind as the way her career would end so we can just wait and see. Hopefully LLT / Rand will issue a statement..Time will tell.

Unread post by Guest »

Correct me if I’m wrong on the McKee Sons but, didn’t she need to have lots of internal steel work done inside of her similar to what I’ve been hearing on the Callaway thus the reasons McKee Sons remains laid up? Also, IF the McKee Sons needs lots of internal work and steel stuff done to her inside depending on the costs of this work, I wouldn’t think that Rand would be willing to put that much into her unless they really feel they need to. What about the tug Invincible as she’s been laid up for a few years now. Is she in good shape for returning to service if needed? Finally, it seems that it’s always been talked as far as someday her to be replacing the tug Olive L. Moore yet it hasn’t materialized yet! What’s preventing her then from replacing the Moore? Big better engine quality and use age and maybe one burns better on fuel then the other? Sorry for so many questions. Just curious is all and my two cents worth here on this!

Unread post by Guest »

McKee sons needs huge $ amount in cargo hold n tank rebuilds. I think the family keeps it for nostalgia as it certainly made them big$ over the years. If scrap metal prices get high enough it will go to the cutters

Unread post by Guest »

Shipwatcher1 wrote: May 28, 2023, 10:37 am Perhaps Rand will enter an agreement to charter the McKee Sons once more if the damage is too severe on the Cuyahoga?
The cost to repair the 71 year old McKee Sons and the 44 year old tug Invincible far outway the revenue projected.
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Perhaps Rand will enter an agreement to charter the McKee Sons once more if the damage is too severe on the Cuyahoga?

Unread post by Guest »

Guess we won't know her future until damage reports come in, Part of the issue in these recent ship fires is that the cost of material and labor for major repairs has risen so high that it quickly exceeds the insured value of the vessel.

Unread post by Guest »

Oops.. correct.. late night confusion🤦🏼‍♂️
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Guest wrote: May 27, 2023, 12:22 am Hard to say.wait and see. If she is withdrawn from service I imagine the Compass, ex Adam E ex Roger Keyes, will be upgraded and kept around awhile longer. The HOGS caterpillar diesel is getting a tad old now. The vessel that started lower lakes towing haz had a great career for 30 or so years after being rescued from the scrap pile.
What does the Compass have to do with this? Its owned by Algoma, not Rand

Unread post by Guest »

Hard to say.wait and see. If she is withdrawn from service I imagine the Compass, ex Adam E ex Roger Keyes, will be upgraded and kept around awhile longer. The HOGS caterpillar diesel is getting a tad old now. The vessel that started lower lakes towing haz had a great career for 30 or so years after being rescued from the scrap pile.

Unread post by Guest »

I'm glad the crew is safe and sound.

Hopefully she's not too badly damaged and will soon be back out to see out the end of her current 5 year survey. As seen regularly by modern General Electric locomotives, what looks like severe fire damage often isn't really as bad as it appears.

If not, at least she's one classic that we won't lament about having gone way before her time. She's had a long life that few others have been able to match.
badger

Unread post by badger »

the valor wouldnt fit into the smalle ports, ie kingsville, that the cuyahoga does. LLT use to say"we can go where the big ships go....and also where they cant"
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I was thinking along the same lines and ideas as you as well Bob. One advantage at least is that the Valor was built I think in 1953 so that makes her ten years younger than Cuyahoga plus, the Valor hasn’t operated since 2008 so I’d take those years off of her operating life and she’s in fair shape maybe? However, at 767 feet in length the Valor does have that as her disadvantage goes of not being able to get into a few ports along with making trips through the Welland and the Seaway much as the Cuyahoga has done during her career with Lower Lakes. Also, let’s not forget about the Tecumseh which had an engine room fire of its own just a few years ago and remains in Ashtabula. The jury is still out yet on her future and there hasn’t been much word or talk about her and any future plans with her. Time will tell what holds for the Cuyahoga but, at 80 years old her time is drawing to a close at some point! I thought if I’m correct, I read here once maybe that LLT was hoping to get a few more good years out of her perhaps 5 more before the engine room fire?
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

The only good thing that will come of this engine fire is that if this spells the end of the cuyahoga maybe they will fix up the American Valor to replace her.