Cuyahoga

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
ashland69

Re: Cuyahoga

Unread post by ashland69 »

As of early morning September 23, Cuyahoga's AIS is running.

Unread post by guest »

someone reported that LLT had increased training for the crew to operate the CO2 system. perhaps their insurance provider might of gived LLT a nudge. to help prevent this from happening, or at least make it less likily to happen again ABC always be careful

Unread post by Guest »

Yes coal has already taken a big hit in volume with more decrease to come. When coal utility plants are totally gone, ( not many years away there will be more boats gone. It’s not about the age of the vessel so much as simply the pie will keep shrinking in size. You’ll also see continued loss as some of the few remaining blast furnaces go cold. There is some stability right now but it’s still a downward trend. Electric furnaces will continue to grow as steel producers continue to face increased pressure from the global warming alarmists ie: govt. USS shut down zug island due to levied fines more than demand. I know, I worked there 32 years. The future of EAF is here to stay and the volume of nuggets won’t replace the lost volume of feeding blast furnaces. By 2030 the fleet will shrink in size again.

Unread post by Guest »

I meant the vast majority of US vessels have never been down the Welland Canal and the Seaway system. Badger mentioned several vessels that used the Welland Canal and St. Lawrence Seaway on a somewhat regular basis, but not as often as the Canadian vessels did back in the 1960s and into the mid-1970s. Most US vessel owners felt that due to their higher operating costs, use of the Seaway wasn't profitable and it was only the large corporations (mining and steel) that did so.

The other person mentioned the ore miners strike of 1977. Indeed, a number of US vessels did go down the Seaway that Fall. Off the top of my head I know that the George M. Humphrey, William Clay Ford, John Dykstra, Leon Falk, Jr., Sparrows Point, Ernest R. Breech, Elton Hoyt 2nd, J. L. Mauthe and Herbert C. Jackson all traveled to the various ore ports on the St. Lawrence River for ore cargoes. But except for the US Steel Supers and the National Steel ore carriers, not on a regular basis (Bethlehem Steel had several vessels that would use the Welland Canal on a fairly frequent basis, loading iron ore at Picton, Ontario.)

Unread post by Guest »

Was there a strike at US mines then?
badger

Unread post by badger »

never say never. the philip r. clarke, cason j. calway and artur m. anderson all went down the seaway in the 70s with grain and came back up with ore. even the j.l. mauthe {pathfinder} made a few trips with grain to montreal. and the ford motor co. vessels tool grain down and ore back up. there could of been others, perhaps someone has more info than i

Unread post by Guest »

The Cuyahoga and the Tecumseh both have CO2 systems, but after the later's fire, LLT brought in increased training for all their vessel crews on how to properly use a CO2 system. The big mistake made during the fire that occurred in the Tecumseh's engine room, is that while they turned the CO2 system, the engine room crew decided to make an attempt to gain access to the engine room via a hatch, which provided oxygen for the fire, making the situation even worse.

Plans are for the Cuyahoga to be repaired by Conneaut Creek Ship Repair.

I wouldn't be so negative about the entire US lake fleet. While Van Enkevort has new tug/barges and Interlake has the Mark W. Barker I would expect most of the other, older US vessels to survive for many more years. Remember, they have spent their entire lives in freshwater and never use the Welland and Seaway Canals - hence less wear and tear.

And in regards to coal cargoes, well the damage has already been done. For example, in 2008 22,998,081 tons of coal were shipped from SMET at Superior. By 2018, that had fallen dramatically to 9,140,397 tons.
GreatLaker

Unread post by GreatLaker »

It was their very first ship and has always been considered the flagship. Not always about size.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: June 20, 2023, 11:11 pm Cuyahoga the flagship ? Doubt that. Not sure they even designate one in their fleet. It’s 79 years old. Despite getting lots of recent expensive work I won’t be surprised if it goes to bone yard. The entire American fleet sans enkenvort and the new mark barker are long in the tooth despite new engines hull work upgrades etc. once coal cargos disapear many will be cut up n recycled. Sad but true.
That would be strange considering they're in the process of fixing it.

Unread post by Guest »

Cuyahoga the flagship ? Doubt that. Not sure they even designate one in their fleet. It’s 79 years old. Despite getting lots of recent expensive work I won’t be surprised if it goes to bone yard. The entire American fleet sans enkenvort and the new mark barker are long in the tooth despite new engines hull work upgrades etc. once coal cargos disapear many will be cut up n recycled. Sad but true.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Gotta give it time as I’m sure from a fire like that they have to go through everything and who knows how much damage may have been done? I’m sure probably some wiring if any have gotten damaged along with maybe some flooding in some areas after they contained the fire? As the saying goes, “Rome wasn’t built in a day!” I’m sure that it’s gonna take some time to get her fixed up and back out again! Surely LLT wants the best out of their flagship and I’m sure everything is being done to her as best they can to try and preserve and save her for a few more years to come hopefully! Just my two cents.

Unread post by guest »

any news about the time frame for repairs caused by the fire? or is no news good news

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote: June 14, 2023, 4:17 pm if the cuyahoga has a CO2 system in the engine room wouldnt that help minimize the damage? or is the engine room to big a space to be effective? sorry im not a fire chief! {as you can tell}
She did have CO2 systems onboard but they failed during the early fire. I heard they were able to fix the system and get it going again.

Unread post by guest »

if the cuyahoga has a CO2 system in the engine room wouldnt that help minimize the damage? or is the engine room to big a space to be effective? sorry im not a fire chief! {as you can tell}
Gman

Unread post by Gman »

CSLFAN wrote: June 12, 2023, 9:00 pm I'm taking a wait and see attitude on this one....Several of her LLT sisters went to scrap and Tecumseh dosen't appear to have much of a future. And repair and drydock would amount to a pretty large pile of cash....and she is how old...I remember being on her as J.Burton Ayers and she was showing her age way back then....Speaking of repair, is Ryerson still at Fraser ???
Ryerson is still at Fraser, looks like work was stopped though

Unread post by Guest »

I second your opinion but we don’t know how extensive the damage is. The tecumseh was a big fire. I watched it burn from my marina on the Detroit river. Could smell the aftermath of it when towed away several months later.
CSLFAN

Unread post by CSLFAN »

I'm taking a wait and see attitude on this one....Several of her LLT sisters went to scrap and Tecumseh dosen't appear to have much of a future. And repair and drydock would amount to a pretty large pile of cash....and she is how old...I remember being on her as J.Burton Ayers and she was showing her age way back then....Speaking of repair, is Ryerson still at Fraser ???

Unread post by guest »

its also in the star beacon

Unread post by Guest »

CSLFAN wrote: June 10, 2023, 11:41 pm What news article states both repair and 5 year for Cuyahoga ?
It was mentioned in this news item from June 9th. It does state that she's "expected" to have her five-year after repairs https://boatnerd.com/boatnerd-news-june-9-2023/
CSLFAN

Unread post by CSLFAN »

What news article states both repair and 5 year for Cuyahoga ?