CN Duluth Docks

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Darryl1

Re: CN Duluth Docks

Unread post by Darryl1 »

Not active for many years. Cost a lot of money to tear down. They finally made a marina out of the, I think, Great Northern chute dock in Superior toward Allouez. Maybe it gives some shelter to #6 and the stone dock to the West. Until fairly recent, boats used to layup for the Winter in that slip. But the ships' lines probably tied up to the stone Dock. That slip used to hold 9 ships during the Winter back, oh, pre-1980...

Unread post by guest »

It's definitely abandoned, I'm going to guess that they haven't removed it for probably the same reason that they haven't removed any of the old ones they have in Superior, Marquette or Two Harbors, why spend the money?

Unread post by Guest »

I was able to visit Duluth last year and rode the Vista Star tour. Dock 5 is not used and if you watch the Western Harbor Cam you’ll see no tracks atop the dock. The ore docks were built out of concrete and steel to support trains carrying 50 to 80 tons in just one small Jenny out of an entire train of Jennie’s. The docks can be demolished as seen at at Ashland, but they are tough and it is expensive so without a good reason I do not see 5 coming down anytime soon. Looking forward to another trip to the Northland and a Bloody Mary at Herbster WI with a Cisco Herring as a garnish. Have great Twin Ports day.
Scott

CN Duluth Docks

Unread post by Scott »

I'm curious if the CN dock opposite dock 6 in Duluth is still active? Dock 5? It does indeed look vacant and I believe that it is no longer in use. Which leads me to my question, why has it not been removed? Is there a reason CN would keep the old dock sitting there? Just curious.