Edmund Fitzgerald & Arthur M. Anderson

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Edmund Fitzgerald & Arthur M. Anderson

Unread post by Guest »

For some reason, another post with a model of the Edmund Fitzgerald reminded me of something from my earlier years. Many years ago an individual that was an avid collector of Great Lakes ships photographs told me that he was searching for a photograph of the Edmund Fitzgerald and Arthur M. Anderson together in the same image. He indicated to me that he considered such a photograph would be the "Holy Grail" of his collection. This was back in the early 1980s long before the arrival of the internet and the abundance of images that have come forth of the Edmund Fitzgerald. He has long since passed away, so I never did learn if he found one or not. While I have a modest collection of Great Lakes ships photographs of around 15,000 images I cannot recall ever having seen one with both the Fitzgerald and Arthur M. Anderson in the same shot either on display, for sale, or posted online. I would assume that the most likely shots, if they do exist, would be the two ships passing one another in one of the connecting channels, laid up nearby at the same location, at the Soo Locks, or in a harbor such as Duluth/Superior. With both in the ore trade during the same period, the two ships must have passed one another several times. Has anyone ever seen such an image?

As an aside, I believe I read somewhere that Anderson and Fitzgerald passed one another in the St. Marys River as the Fitzgerald was on its maiden voyage. I don't know the validity of that assertion as it may have been some artistic license by a writer trying to make a story more interesting.