Gov Milller last trip prior to layup

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Gov Milller last trip prior to layup

Unread post by Guest »

I don't have a trip log for the Governor Miller's last trip in 1975. But I do have information that she laidup at Duluth on October 15, 1975. I wish I could provide information on that last trip, as it would be interesting.

Skip Gillham provided me a scan of a yearly trip sheet for the Governor Miller that covered 1974 and 75 for a Ship of the Month article I did for the Toronto Marine Historical Society in their May 1995 issue.
Attachments
GM_Boatnerd.jpg
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

It laid up at Duluth on 15 October 1975 and was reported down bound at the Soo for Chicago (I assume the South Works and not Gary) on 3 October 1975, undoubtedly with ore, so that was probably its final paying trip. I have no idea what the crew knew or didn't know.

Unread post by Guest »

I can only speculate, but she wasn't even 40 years old when she was last laid up. I imagine the crew was unaware she wouldn't be returning to service, especially with the Speer and Gott still a few years away for the fleet.

If my recollections are accurate, she had some engine troubles. I imagine they thought she'd eventually get repairs done and be back out at the next upswing in traffic. But obviously US Steel didn't end up ever needing her and she was one of the first casualties in the fleet to be disposed of when everything came crashing down at the end of the decade.

I have Al Miller's book in arm's reach called the Tin Stackers. Might be an answer in there about the Miller's demise, but I've not had the chance yet to read it.

Gov Milller last trip prior to layup

Unread post by guest »

Does anyone know what the Gov Miller's last full trip was to and from, prior to its last layup in Duluth? What was her last cargo and did the crew know she was laying up for the final time? Thanks.